Timber Fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well......couldn't get me to fall for less than 100 bucks a load. but then again, i am a rarity around here and don't really want to fall for some one else.

to expand that.......these guys here piss me the hell off cuz they get hurt but won't listen about ways to not get hurt. its very frustrating.

$2.50 x 70ton=$175.00 cor an exp. chocker setter that can hook their own strip without guidance and not tear **** up. $3.75per ton to fall and cut butt logs off. thats $262.50. the bad part about tonnage is when the sawing is tough for a few days a month something happens to the cutters mind and pretty soon they are attempting to reneg.on the whole sale. :envy:

This sure as heck isn't Idaho or N.W.Montana or the coastal big four. Its Po-Dunk,middle of now where. There are only a hand full of mills within the hauling range that the weight factor dictates.

they are long log self loader loads and avg. 27 ton per load. and the avg. load has 35 stems to the load. 2 ft. multiples from 8'6"-50'.

they are long log self loader loads and avg. 27 ton per load. and the avg. load has 35 stems to the load. 2 ft. multiples from 8'6"-50'.
Not running a shovel on the landing for sorting or ect?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Not running a shovel on the landing for sorting or ect?

Not yet ! we were using a Hahn 110 for a while but it needs a new head and doubt it will ever run again. to out of date and takes 2 people to operate.

Not yet ! we were using a Hahn 110 for a while but it needs a new head and doubt it will ever run again. to out of date and takes 2 people to operate.
Even a small 120 conversion shovel would unload most log trailers from the trucks and load all logs, and have a quick disconnect for a processor head that you could get enough wood done up to load for a few days well you stack with the yarder.

Even a small 120 conversion shovel would unload most log trailers from the trucks and load all logs, and have a quick disconnect for a processor head that you could get enough wood done up to load for a few days well you stack with the yarder.

yup- but we have to pay for one machine at a time. Waratah 480HD is about the only head that i know of that can process 5-7" ponderosa limbs. Log Max- not sure of. Self loaders have to be used because they unload themselves at each mill site. So we will most likely get into a slide boom first for the $. Pierce's grapple/processor head may be a good choice but so would having $80k laying around for a used one.

yup- but we have to pay for one machine at a time. Waratah 480HD is about the only head that i know of that can process 5-7" ponderosa limbs. Log Max- not sure of. Self loaders have to be used because they unload themselves at each mill site. So we will most likely get into a slide boom first for the $. Pierce's grapple/processor head may be a good choice but so would having $80k laying around for a used one.
Another good easy head to work on is a Fabtek 240 I have one sitting here anyone can work on them. Waratah and log max are both good heads but expensive to keep up on.

So do they handle the woofy **** too? We have never been around them. what kind of flow requirements does it take ?

So do they handle the woofy **** too? We have never been around them. what kind of flow requirements does it take ?
It seems too, they were built in the great lake states before being bought by Blount and then Cat. Our was on a 320 but they did put them on the Fabtek 153 carrier or 653 John Deeres. You can also run the head even if the computer isn't working for limbing and cutting it has its own relay box.

You need a big head for that stuff, waratah, keto, log max, etc. The fabtek like skeans talking about crack up quick in heavy limbing too.
Ours we did a lot of bracing but it also has 15k on the hour meter.

I've heard pondo is super tough for a conifer. Almost like hardwood sometimes. If those fabtek heads are slammed through everything they start to bust up at 2500 to 3000 hrs.
Our last 480 made almost 5000 before it needed some rod. We got rid of it at 13000 and many many pounds of 7018 were onboard by then. And that's using the saw for the big limbs.

To bring this back around to "Timber Falling" - this all got started w/ 2 Stihl saws and an S-15 GMC one stump at a time. Now we have 2,5mmbf of timber, a yarder, jd 650G, Franlin 170 dual function awaiting new 6bta and possibly a Cat 518 Swinger. And six chain saws. Thats all in 1.5yrs. Trying not to sound all about it but we have been very busy and diligent(my son and i). God is good all the time!

To bring this back around to "Timber Falling" - this all got started w/ 2 Stihl saws and an S-15 GMC one stump at a time. Now we have 2,5mmbf of timber, a yarder, jd 650G, Franlin 170 dual function awaiting new 6bta and possibly a Cat 518 Swinger. And six chain saws. Thats all in 1.5yrs. Trying not to sound all about it but we have been very busy and diligent(my son and i). God is good all the time!
One thing to remember is don't get too big too fast because mills can say we don't need anymore wood real fast.

ponderosa limbs are the toughest i have seen on the east slope. very unforgiving. A Kesla short stroke head works very well for this and will run a 120 class machine. it would take a 160-180 class machine to handle some of the bigger bunk logs(4000-6500lbs.)we butt log in the brush on the bigger stuff

ponderosa limbs are the toughest i have seen on the east slope. very unforgiving. A Kesla short stroke head works very well for this and will run a 120 class machine. it would take a 160-180 class machine to handle some of the bigger bunk logs(4000-6500lbs.)we butt log in the brush on the bigger stuff
Worst thing over here is spruce they are hard as heck or just fold over, even firs do that here too in the young wood. What's the max size on the butt you guys see?

Back