Timber Fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Travel trailers are nice. I should have bought one years ago. Motel life sucks for the most part.
If I was doing things like that I'd ty to pick up a used toy hauler version with a smaller "garage" on the back end. Set it up as a saw shop and you'd be in business. A small Franklin stove wouldn't be bad as Northman had a good point. I wonder if there would be any camper parks within a reasonable commuting distance to the site?

Park a little trailer next to or very near the site, no commute needed, just a grocery/beer-whiskey/gas run every couple days, head home once a week to visit the wifey, and sleep in a real bed.

Motels suck, rv camps are probably worse, KOA's are ok during the week, but anytime there is a communal shower involved I get visions of athletes foot and crabs... just sayin...

Yup, its old but it works pretty good, have it hooked up to a batter charger right now. Mostly cause I'm too cheap to get a battery too hook it too.

It came with a little 12v converter taped to the side, but it didn't have much grunt, I imagine that hooking it up to a real battery would give it plenty of power...

Think its a 450c ? or just a 450, nearly identical to the 451 but with an older sand cast frame and a tiny little 12v motor on it.

Ah, nice. I'm still hunting for an affordable square grinder. I just wish I'd bought a Silvey when they weren't unobtanium. I have a 510 at work, but nothing for square chains.

We have a toy hauler just for the reason of having the garage it's nice having a place you can take off your wet stuff and not worry about it destroying the inside. Another thing is they are self contained water is 110 gallons, generator, and it's all worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

it does sound like a decent job for the most part. we have tried to get a full time cutter out here in Wyoming for awhile now. as soon as you mention they will be expected to pull yarder line and pimp on the landing they quit callin'. we pay by the ton and they dont like that either but have been around alot of so-called fallers who need Mcdonalds job apps. i read all 3 pages for this thread and boot driers were brought up. has anyone ever had any luck with the propane styles. always wondered about the moisture propane gives off when i see them at Cabela's.

it does sound like a decent job for the most part. we have tried to get a full time cutter out here in Wyoming for awhile now. as soon as you mention they will be expected to pull yarder line and pimp on the landing they quit callin'. we pay by the ton and they dont like that either but have been around alot of so-called fallers who need Mcdonalds job apps. i read all 3 pages for this thread and boot driers were brought up. has anyone ever had any luck with the propane styles. always wondered about the moisture propane gives off when i see them at Cabela's.
Heck I lived in Wyoming and I'd go back if the money was worth I'd go back.

Heck I lived in Wyoming and I'd go back if the money was worth I'd go back.

send me a pm with your contact info and experience. we can take it from there. the winters here in the Bighorns are not for the faint of heart. Yarder will be running by end part of Dec. of first part of Jan. if all goes well. we have crawler ground till then.

i came down here almost 2 yrs. ago to retrieve a stolen fire truck and a healer/coyote mixed breed dog(she was in truck when it got stolen). A log home builder i met at a gas station gave me the # of a area logger-2 weeks later i was falling in 3-5 ft.of snow and 9300 ft. they were using a Kubota mini exc. with rubber tracks to shovel stumps. the ex's voice is alot harder to hear down here. Family can be difficult for many reasons. Our kids fallowed me down here one at a time. Sometimes "family" makes it diff.to go home- or want to go home. The double edged sword :)

... we have tried to get a full time cutter out here in Wyoming for awhile now. as soon as you mention they will be expected to pull yarder line and pimp on the landing they quit callin'. we pay by the ton and they dont like that either ...

That might have something to do with it. Most fallers don't care much for working in the rigging.
I think the guys back east do that quite a bit...fall, run skidder, hook their own turns...on some of that high-dollar hardwood. Out here it would be hard to get enough production to make it pay.
If there's enough work for a full time faller he shouldn't have time...or the inclination...to do anything else.
Would training a new guy work out?

Haven't heard of anybody. I thought maybe some of the Eastern guys who always talk about coming out here to cut Left Coast timber would jump at the chance.

I have been salivating at the idea. There's just too many entanglements here on the home front. If it was a 3 or 4 month long job I would have probably gone for it. A job that size would almost require that I move there. I was also kicking around going back to the U.P. to cut my own property for the winter.

If days were 48 hours long or if there was two of me the whole thing might be a different story.

At any rate three weeks ago I was offered an opportunity to partner up with a guy I worked for for a few weeks in September. My saws are in mothballs, but I have put in just under 70 hours per week for the past two weeks (door to door, 3 hours of driving per day). I'm running forwarder, loading trucks and plowing snow, plus whatever else crops up. We have 1200 acres at our disposal. If every thing works out on this one I may walk out of here with a processor and a self loader. I'm not holding my breath as the only person you can rely on 100% of the time is your self, but we will see...

Back