Timber Fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wonder about that as well.

$320 per day for 7 hours ($45.71 per hour).

The 2+ month gig I had here until last Wednesday was $190 per day for 9 hours ($21.11 per hour). All expenses where my own other than saw gas and bar oil despite being on the books as an employee. The other guys on that job were getting between $13.50 and $15.00 per hour, but I think they had health insurance of some sort.

$320 sounds a dang sight better than $190.

I guess it would also depend on the availability of housing. I'm thinking the big burn was around the Glenwood area. I have not been there. I have been to Trout Lake, and suspect it would be affordable only with a travel trailer. Maybe if you are one of those people people, you could talk motel rates down.
http://community.gorge.net/glenwood/

Here's windy Goldendale.
http://www.goldendalechamber.org/stay.html

Also, I'm thinking the Yakama Reservation is a dry area--no booze and lately pot is not legal on it.

they where pretty specific about drug testing... so I would say leave the weed at home on this one, as far as dry reservations... don't get caught..

Got another email lodging is not part of the deal so we'd be on our own, I'm thinkin a camper parked right near the unit, act as security at night and just roll out of bed and get to work.

I bought a camper for $300 four years ago and have used it on every job since. The camper is 18ft and built in 1973, but everything works in it. The roof leaks of course. So far I have only put about $15 into it since I bought it.

In 2014 a small bear crawled in the bedroom window, walked across my sleeping bag and proceeded to open most of the kitchen cupboards. He did zero damage inside, not even scratches. He did leave muddy foot prints on the counter. I was only away from the camper for about 20 minutes. The bugger must have planned it and waited for me to drive off. All he got was a half a corn cob out of the garbage. The crappy part is when I returned to the camper he ran across my bunk and went back out the window when he did he took 1/3 of the window with him. There was glass scattered for 20 feet.

So if you get a camper you might have a big black furry neighbor to keep you warm at night! That's one of the perks.

I call mine the Tiltin' Hilton.

The last two weeks at the last job it was cold. The heater was broken (since been fixed). When I would get up in the morning it would be in the high twenties. That's inside the camper. If I had had a way to haul water I could have had a shower each night as the water pump and water heater both work perfectly. Since I couldn't dry my boots I brought 4 different pairs for throughout out the week.

Call me wimpy, but I kinda like access to a boot dryer and hot shower after a cold wintry day of work. A camper sounds too cold and damp and frosty.

I like it damp and cold... just not a big fan of wet feet...

If this where to go down I'd probably find the cheapest hunk of road worthy crap, toss the welder generator in the crummy, grab the 12v simington, and gopher it, Pretty much all of my other tools are in the crummy now anyway, just kinda curious as to how the war dept is going to handle me being gone for a week at a time...

Maybe get one of them tiny franklin stoves for in the camper, take some of the end drops and cut out the dry center wood...

There is a company that makes a 110 electric plug-in window unit pellet stove that supposedly works well. It's a thought for heat assuming you have electricity available.

Not a big fan of pellet stoves, lots of advertising, for less heat, more mess, and your dependent on a bag of water soluble dust. And when the power quits you gots no heat, yes I know they have battery back up now but how long does the battery last? And when it goes dead then what?

Down here most of the guys I worked with have travel trailers. It gives a guy some choices and a lot more mobility than trying to commute.
Some of the trailers are downright luxurious. And I gotta admit, it's darn nice after a day outside in the cold and wet to have hot chow and a hot shower if you want one. I carried a Honda generator and it ran everything I needed in the trailer.
Nothing the matter with living civilized if you can.

Yup, its old but it works pretty good, have it hooked up to a batter charger right now. Mostly cause I'm too cheap to get a battery too hook it too.

It came with a little 12v converter taped to the side, but it didn't have much grunt, I imagine that hooking it up to a real battery would give it plenty of power...

Think its a 450c ? or just a 450, nearly identical to the 451 but with an older sand cast frame and a tiny little 12v motor on it.

Travel trailers are nice. I should have bought one years ago. Motel life sucks for the most part.

The Columbia Helicopters crews had super deluxe ones. Some would be up in the woods on the landing and usually with a couple of black labs, and some would be down in an RV park. They looked to be very comfy.

I lived in my tool trailer for a month or so last winter. 1/2" plywood sides and no insulation at 9000 feet. The trailer has a woodstove. At the ceiling it would be 100º + and by the time the meltings from the roof ran down the inside of the walls to about 18" above the floor it would freeze . Good times!

Latest posts

Back