Alright deal on 2x 028's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unionvillecountryboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at my local Ace getting some unrealated stuff and struck up a convo with the owner... I left with 2 028's for $75. Neither start, didn't try as he said they came in not running years ago. Compression seems good, still need to get a gage. I mainly bought for parts, my dad gave me a super nice one a few years ago.

Or would it be worth the effort to get them running? They seem to be all there.

Attachments

• IMG_8059.JPG
    IMG_8059.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8060.JPG
    IMG_8060.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8062.JPG
    IMG_8062.JPG
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8064.JPG
    IMG_8064.JPG
    965.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8065.JPG
    IMG_8065.JPG
    544 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8066.JPG
    IMG_8066.JPG
    792.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8068.JPG
    IMG_8068.JPG
    830.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8069.JPG
    IMG_8069.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
That's a good price for two Stihl spare hulks, especially considering all plastics seem to be sound.
Get them running... unless you want to do it for fun and learning, most likely not worth the effort.

Good deal. I would of course make them run. They look to be in good shape and have chain brakes (some older 028's did not). Compared to modern saws they are old, slow, and heavy. They do cut pretty well for what they are and can be reliable if gone through. I like them. Running well and cleaned up nice I would ask $150-$175 on CL here. Some ask $200-$250 but they don't move fast. The "super" version does bring a little more.

Good deal. I would of course make them run. They look to be in good shape and have chain brakes (some older 028's did not). Compared to modern saws they are old, slow, and heavy. They do cut pretty well for what they are and can be reliable if gone through. I like them. Running well and cleaned up nice I would ask $150-$175 on CL here. Some ask $200-$250 but they don't move fast. The "super" version does bring a little more.

Yea the 028 I've seen have been around 200-250. But when I went to look for NOS parts they were high, if you could even find them.

Really not too much need for NOS unless you are building one for the shelf. There are loads and loads of used parts available.
Even used parts seemed high to me, like 3-4 parts would cover the cost of both of these. Once I get a good compression gage I'll take off with the best one and make a runner. If one is bad I'll make a BB screamer.

I think that's a fair rice should be able to get on running at least....unless they drive you insane with ignition and other old saw problems...028 was the firs real saw I had and they will cut a lot of wood big too with a sharp chain and a good tune...good luck

I think that's a fair rice should be able to get on running at least....unless they drive you insane with ignition and other old saw problems...028 was the firs real saw I had and they will cut a lot of wood big too with a sharp chain and a good tune...good luck
They are electronic, so hopefully its all good.

I have one that is identical to your saws. The PO tried to run it on gas mixed with ATF. It didn't work.

I'm sitting by a fire that was made possible by my 028. I rebuilt the saw and it is part of my firewood arsenal. Yes it is old and heavy but it runs and cuts well. They are definately worth rebuilding IMHO.

I put in a aftermarket piston and rings after cleaning up the OEM cylinder. The handle was cracked and repaired poorly so I replaced it with a used part. My 028 is now a very good saw.

I'm going to pull the mufflers and look at the pistons, then check compression. What should I look for on these saws compression wise or what was factory?

I really hate the factory kill switch. I might do a toggle and choke set up like an echo, I can't find anyone who has done this, any pictures?

Back