Is this worth picking up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangerbait

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found this guy hanging out on the side of the road near my house...its county land, so I got the County Supervisor's permission to have at it...what is it, and is it worth my effort?

a21267616d6d107c449f524eda5addfe.jpg

6c203db19ff639df714886725911b928.jpg

36de782b98c12e46eae9966173def19a.jpg

8037cad588f8b55f2ceb8f35e1907dcc.jpg

Yeah I remember looking up the btu for tulip a few months ago because a guy had a few of them around his yard he wanted cut down they are not very good firewood as far as BTU goes

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah I remember looking up the btu for tulip a few months ago because a guy had a few of them around his yard he wanted cut down they are not very good firewood as far as BTU goes

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It's easy to split, and good for mixing with higher-btu wood, but I already have probably 4-5 cords of it.

Can't see the rings real good in that pic - but they look like they are a lot tighter than poplar we have here or other species that don't pack much heat.

So I'm not so sure I would pass on it.

Tulip "poplar" isn't really poplar. It belongs to the magnolia family. I think it is better firewood than poplar/aspen/cottonwood. Definitely not premium stuff though. I would put it in the same category as soft maple.

I would take it if it were close to home and easy to access.

I always seem to end up with quite a bit of tulip poplar... great shoulder wood and I use it bring a fire back from the coals. Just get it off the ground quick.

We cut up a Huge tulip poplar last Fall that went down in a big storm and after it sat for a while it made really good firewood. It was an old, tight grained tree, and it was definitely worth the effort. And it was close by And FREE!

Cliff

I have the option of processing two blown down ash trees from a June storm. OR, I can knock down a couple of standing tulip poplar trees instead that are half dead. Guess which two will be processed.

Well, that's easy. I think I'll pass on this one since I have a ton other options for higher BTU varieties.

Well, that's easy. I think I'll pass on this one since I have a ton other options for higher BTU varieties.
Great thread, Ranger. Last year I collected by accident a bunch of box elder rounds from a rancher that were dead dry, no bark, and impossible to identify. The smell was gone, and they were somehow not punky. I made some kindling from them. It was easy to identify when split -- red stripes everywhere. I recall wood turners with lathes liked the color and used to make bowls from it.

Latest posts

Back