Japanese maple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is this a Japanese maple? If not what is it?

Attachments

• IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 39
Technically, you are correct. Nothing dead about it. But it's blown over. Unless the OP wants a crippled tree growing sideways in his yard . . . it's toast.

It looks like a low growing spreading/weeping variety/cultivar to me. I have one in my front flower bed. I don't see any problems with the tree. I also have a cutleaf and it gets those little dead tips on the end of the leaves. Doesn't seem to impact the tree.

It does look like it could use a little pruning to shape it and thin it.

If you see problems with the tree, please educate me.

Wikipedia says there'ls over 1000 cultivars of japanese maple. (Fun fact)

Jeez, my apology to Jason--I learned something. I have no dealings with ornamentals and landscaping, so this is foreign territory for me. All I saw was a thing growing sideways on the ground--in my world that means one thing only.

Yes, Japanese maple...and by those 3 pictures healthy looking.

My personal opinion: I think it looks like a giant overgrown shrub in its current state. I like to thin those out so you can see the branching structure under all of that. I need to be better about taking before and after pictures (I don't have any of when I have done this), but if I must say so myself, I really like the look of those once I am done with them. (clients have said so too...but they aren't here, so I'll just talk about myself ;) ). It is a little tedious to get in there with pruners and clip several dozen twigs and a few branches, but worth it. Others will shear the thing like a hedge which looks OK, but is a darn shame compared to what they could have.

waterfall maple. Possibly 2 grafts. I wholly agree with ATH on all points except when people shear them like a hedge... it hurts my brain ....and my eyes. And it almost totally ruins them

Back