020T rebuild?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjo75

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is there anywhere I can get my 020T rebuilt? I bought it new in 99. It's been the best saw I've ever owned . It still runs great it's just getting a little weak. I took it to my local Stihl dealership and was told it was junk and would never run again. But here's a new shiny saw for sale. Why don't you buy a new one. So I took it to the Stihl dealership in the next county last August. I told them I knew it was old and wasn't worth much to them but I would like a top end put in it. And I also knew the crank bearings had a little slack. $300 for the top and and possibly $500 if the crank bearings were pretty bad. Great! Rebuild it and call me when it's done. 9 months later I finally give up and go by there. We're sorry but you're saw isn't worth rebuilding. You can have a new one for $700. If you put 300 in this one you'll still have an old saw. I thought we agreed to rebuild this one. It's not worth it. It's definitely better than the pos new ones sitting on the shelf over
there.

I know the crank bearings may have a little slack. But I thought if I could get a new top end I might squeeze a few more years of life out if it. Especially since its time is split up among several other saws. I can't find anyone to even work on it. I wouldn't even mind putting $500 in it and having an old saw that's 50 times better than my new ones. I never had any trouble out of this saw. My new ones have been nothing but trouble. I guess Stihl got what they wanted. They phased out the old reliable saws and flooded my job with new sorry saws that won't stay together.

I could probably rebuild it myself if I had a little instruction. And could find the parts. Any advice?

Back