024 super first post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderson3754

Playing the ultimate game every day
Reaction score
I acquired a stihl 024 super that has some issues with running correctly. Has I'm looking at this saw to purchase needed parts I'm starting to get suspicious that it is not a 024 super, and is a standard 024. I'm comparing it side by side to a my 024 and I cannot discern one difference at this time, carbs, airfilter, even the top covers interchange. The saw in question does have a name plate indicating 024 super.
The question I have, is there a way to verify if this saw is a super 024 or a standard 024 without having to completely split it apart to measure and compare part numbers.

Regards

I've been using the search button for about an hour now I think this a AV 024, not a AVS 024 super.
This saw only has 1 bar stud, chain tensioner is in the front, but! there is a S stamped on top of the jug, not embossed. But! it's a double stamp over lapping vertically. I got my known 024 right next to it, and cannot visually see or measure a difference. Having been a cop for 26 yrs when things just don't add up correctly, red flags go off.

I have a Super with only 1 bar stud and front tensioner as well. If the cylinder says "S" it should be a Super... I'll take a pic later if I don't forget.

Great thankyou I guess the biggest red flag now is the "S" on the top. Mine is stamped, not embossed as a raised part of the casting.
The plot thickens LOL

Thankyou for your effort to help. Your pictures help a lot. Mine is not like yours. My letter "S" is simply stamped with a 3/16 tall stamp that is struck with a hammer. Maybe 1 inch forward of the sparkplug.

Say do you know if the top covers are identical, I can flip flop mine back and forth with a perfect fit?

The covers should be the same...
There were several cylinder suppliers over the years, some may have different markings.
Seam thanks for your help. If there were several suppliers for the cylinders, maybe mine is just a early version like your 024 Super, with a cylinder from a different supplier. I guess I won't know now for sure till I split it apart. I'm going to put a good known carb on this weekend and see how it runs. The carb that was on it was just a mess inside, coated with a black tar like goo, not worth rebuilding in my opinion. I really have no way to clean it to ensure I get that crud out of the internal passages.
Again thanks for sharing you knowledge.

Regards

Very interesting read. I have a 024 with 2 bar studs,side chain adjust and adjustable oiler. Could I possibly have a super? I've had the covers off,but didn't notice an "S" stamped in,wasn't looking for one either. I'll be watching this thread.

Had to run out to shop and look. I have an embossed S on the top of cylinder. Good chance it's a super?

Attachments

• IMG_3329.JPG
    IMG_3329.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
In my opinion there's not much difference in wood cutting ability between a Super and the others. I think it's more of a marketing thing than anything else. On my 029 Super the only difference I could find is the piston was 1mm bigger in diameter, 46mm instead of 45. I really couldn't see any difference in the running of them.

Just an update on this 024 super??. Rebuilt the carb w/o much success. Went and had it sonic cleaned, it took a whole 20min, and a cup of coffee. Went home, put the carb back together and this saw really runs nice now. 16 inch bar, new Oregon chain, .325x.063 chain, and a 8 tooth rim sprocket. Played around with some 8-10inch Box-elders and it runs out nice. This weekend I'll compare it to my 024, it has a 16 inch bar 3/8 x .050 chain with a 7 tooth sprocket on it now, so I'll have to put a new .325 chain on with a 8 tooth sprocket so as to make the comparison equal. We'll see. Oh.. almost forget, both saws do have a muffler mod nothing serious 2 extra 3/16 holes going straight out the front, more for heat dissipation than power. More interested in longevity than lean and mean for max power. Saving these old saws is addicting, now I have to go buy a sonic cleaner this weekend, it just never ends LOL.
Regards

Just an update on this 024 super??. Rebuilt the carb w/o much success. Went and had it sonic cleaned, it took a whole 20min, and a cup of coffee. Went home, put the carb back together and this saw really runs nice now. 16 inch bar, new Oregon chain, .325x.063 chain, and a 8 tooth rim sprocket. Played around with some 8-10inch Box-elders and it runs out nice. This weekend I'll compare it to my 024, it has a 16 inch bar 3/8 x .050 chain with a 7 tooth sprocket on it now, so I'll have to put a new .325 chain on with a 8 tooth sprocket so as to make the comparison equal. We'll see. Oh.. almost forget, both saws do have a muffler mod nothing serious 2 extra 3/16 holes going straight out the front, more for heat dissipation than power. More interested in longevity than lean and mean for max power. Saving these old saws is addicting, now I have to go buy a sonic cleaner this weekend, it just never ends LOL.
Regards
glad to hear you got it going. now what's the "next" saw? :laughing:

Latest posts

Back