024 super first post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been following this thread as I have interest in the 024/026 series.

I got a bunch of powerheads in a recycle bin that came along with a 064 I found on CL a while back. Mostly complete but missing some parts

One was a 024 series. I just checked the cylinder and found that on the top on the casting parting line a crude "S" is cast into the cylinder on the casting parting line, similar to Matt's picture on post #15. This saw is front chain adjust, non-compensator carb w/Hi/Lo (not sure of model), non-adjustable oiler, older style tank vent.

The good news as I have two 026 and this 024S powerhead has good crank......

If it is indeed in good shape that price is good. I would always ask if he would take less especially if the condition is less than good. I always pop the muffler cover off and check the piston and cylinder.
Thx dan, he was askin 180$

Sorry to hijack thread but im brand new and cant figure out how to create a new thread.not very tech savvy.. question is,, is 140$ good price for 024, owner says runs great
That's a decent price for a runner. I've had 024s on ebay a few times and about $150 is about all you can get out of them and then they deduct seller fees so actually you don't even get $150..

Well I'm back... I set this 024 Super up identical to my Std 024. 16 inch bar, 8 tooth rim sprocket, an put a new .325x.063 chain on both, tweaked the carbs a little bit. I then went out into the backyard and attacked a 16 inch diameter Boxelder tree for about 1-1/2 hrs alternating between each saw every 10-15 min. I can honestly say, I could not discern any difference in power between the 2 saws. All I kept saying to myself is, both these saws cut really hard and fast. So for a total investment of 75-80 dollars I ended up with a really nice Super 024. Parts needed to make it run nice, used coil, gas tank fuel line, new NGK plug, Walbro carb kit, and a chain.

Regards

Well I'm back... I set this 024 Super up identical to my Std 024. 16 inch bar, 8 tooth rim sprocket, an put a new .325x.063 chain on both, tweaked the carbs a little bit. I then went out into the backyard and attacked a 16 inch diameter Boxelder tree for about 1-1/2 hrs alternating between each saw every 10-15 min. I could honestly say I could not discern any difference in power between the 2 saws. All I kept saying to myself is both these saws cut really hard and fast. So for a total investment of 75-80 dollars I ended up with a really nice Super 024. Parts needed to make it run nice, used coil, gas tank fuel line, new NGK plug, Walbro carb kit, and a chain.

Regards
That's awesome! Good grab for you! Why a 8 tooth rim though? I think they would probably be better with 7 tooth rim.

That's awesome! Good grab for you! Why a 8 tooth rim though? I think they would probably be better with 7 tooth rim.

Well when I first started playing around with saws approx. 5 yrs ago, my first couple saws had the 7 tooth sprocket and all they did was cut so-so. Then I converted my 024 and my 026 over to 3/8x.050 on 16inch bars and I liked that setup a lot but was very grabby on branches under 2 inches, but it sure made nice big chips with out having to lean on the saw, it just dug in and cut. Fast forward to last summer. I'm at the range shooting and when I went to load up my gear another shooter saw the 2 saws in the back of my truck. We talked saws for about an hour with him explaining he owns a tree cutting service and recommended to go back to the .325 chain but use a 8 tooth sprocket especially in any of the soft woods around here. Well I tried it and I liked it. Increasing the chain speed about 15% really made a big difference, not grabby on the smaller branches and goes through 8-12 inch stuff really fast with out leaning on the saw.
I now have two 024's and two 026's set up this way and I like it. I still have 3/8-.050 on my ms261, ms310 and a 036 that size chain really makes big chips which I think is Kool. Now I am very new at this, and I always reserve the right to be wrong. I enjoy fixing things and I'm very sure the only reason I cut trees for fire wood is to play with the saws. My son-inlaw thinks I'm being nice to him because he heats is house with firewood. I even pull them up by the pasture driveway cut it all up in 2 ft pieces and stack it, so its easy to load up in his truck LOL.

Regards

Back