034 Stihl - Starter update ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSUplowboy

Firewood cutter
Reaction score
I'm looking to update the starter on my saw from a one pawl to a two pawl setup. It looks like I need a different rope rotor, pawl retaining spring, and an additional pawl. Would anyone know if I also need to change the rewind spring? My 034 must be an early model-it seems to not have any updates done to it. Thanks in advance!

Nothing is broken, just thought it is roughly 30 years old and it might be good to upgrade it. I really like my saw and just thought I'd fix it up here and there.

If you have the disc, I won't bother looking it up and printing the tech bulletin, and all that.
You look it up, it is the first bullettin on the Tech Info menu....

Sorry for the runaround. I read that bulletin earlier today and I'm not sure if a side plate would work. My saw just had bumper strips from the factory, never a side plate, but it has a side chain tensioner. Bulletin doesn't address that case unless I'm missing it. Probably better to stop in at dealer and see if it fits. Same thing with rewind spring- number differs between tech bulletin and parts diagram. I'm green with saw diagrams- mediacat is nice. Just my ignorance getting in the way and thought maybe someone had seen it before.

Well- stopped at a stihl shop and bought a new rotor. It doesn't seem to catch the current spring, so I'll be picking a spring up tomorrow hopefully. Dude knew right off about the part numbers (there was a spring update after the update ha). I should know pdq if it'll work after that.

The fellow there said he doesn't like the side plate as they tend to come off with the bar over time- according to him. So...I'll stick with the bumper strips for now.

Hopefully this helps someone!

Well 1128-195-0400 does not work with my fan housing. Tech bulletin called it out, so I am trying a different rotor now. Had to be ordered- hopefully it fits! Looks like maybe the square badge housings are different than the newer style where the rotor fits?????

Ok- Think this project is done. The rotor I needed was 1125-195-0401. That part fit correctly. I used the saw most of the day Saturday and it seemed good. Hopefully this helps someone with the older style fan housing that still has the single pawl rotor.

Back