261 or 261cm or keep muffler modded 550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosegunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 550xp that is muffler modded. I like the size and power. I don't care too much for the warm starting and slight bog of idle.

At this time I am not interested in getting them ported. I would be open to a muffler mod on either 261.

Thinking about selling it and trying a 261 or 261 cm. Is there any noticeable difference in power between the two stihls?

How about compared to the muffler modded 550xp?

gg

I believe the mtronic 261 comes with a larger opening in the muffler, and if doing a muffler mod that's all that's required. With the standard carb you'll have to remove the limiters to adjust the carb. If you get the updated 261 they're lighter and more powerful, I don't know if they're capable of more power with a muffler mod though.

For a firewood saw id take a 261..not that a 550 doesn't do it i just like the 261 better for that.

Strippin trees or runnin jams back all day by a chipper i like the 550.

Both good saws..just different.
Great info....hell I have enough saws right now, but I just love the new 261....my buddy showed me a brand new 550 the other day, and it looks very nice too....

He says that the husky will out run the 261....now I am sure he meant in speed(RPMs)....however since I just do firewood and tree work on the side, rpm's aren't that important to me.....

Have you ran both of these saws for long periods of time.....

I have run both and prefer the 550 , that saying I had nothing but trouble with my 261's . New one is better I'm told but I'm sticking to 550's .

I like my 261cm a lot. It's very torquey for a 50cc saw, and mine is wearing a 16" 3/8 bar and chain. You can push it pretty hard and it just keeps chugging along. It's also plenty light. Mine is a version 2. It'd be even lighter with a .325 bar and chain and if it didn't have heated handles.

I agree with the others, a 550 is narrower and more nimble. Probably a little snappier, but not if you're having a bog issue.

I like the m-tronic aspect a lot. From a performance standpoint it seems to be getting very good reviews. People who port them say the carb can keep up with the new air/fuel demands. They're always perfectly tuned, never die or engage the clutch at idle, won't suffer a lean seizure at the hands of a daft operator, etc. Of course, that's if they're working properly. It's certainly true that a carb with screws has less that can fail. Less complicated parts to fail, anyway.

I have run both and prefer the 550 , that saying I had nothing but trouble with my 261's . New one is better I'm told but I'm sticking to 550's .
What kind of problems did you have with the 261s.....

Have you ever had the bog issues with the 550....

Let me add I am just asking, I am not trying to down either saw!!!

Great info....hell I have enough saws right now, but I just love the new 261....my buddy showed me a brand new 550 the other day, and it looks very nice too....

He says that the husky will out run the 261....now I am sure he meant in speed(RPMs)....however since I just do firewood and tree work on the side, rpm's aren't that important to me.....

Have you ran both of these saws for long periods of time.....

They cut about the same speed..550 just spools up a smidge quicker..for a firewood cutter that fraction of a second is irrelevant , given a choice with the new lightened model of the 261..id personally pick that one..seems less problematic and i love the air filter setup , but a well running 550 is no slouch either..but what makes your sticker peck up.

What kind of problems did you have with the 261s.....

Have you ever had the bog issues with the 550....

Let me add I am just asking, I am not trying to down either saw!!!

Both 261's had major issues with the clutch bearing , ( very common here ) seems that this problem has not been as prevalent in the States . One of mine had a crankshaft under warranty , got rid of both due to these ongoing issues with the clutch bearing destroying it's self .

My first 550 2012 model had a software update then a carb ( under warranty) due to hot start and bogging issues , but has been perfect since . My 2015 model has been faultless . I also have two 560's and both have been perfect .

Back