661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are y'all any closer to finding the perfect oil yet?
Epic... 240 pages :rock:
I've decided, when I get my 70cc saw (and port it :D), I'm gonna' do exactly as Hedgerow does.
I not 100% sure why I've decided that, but it makes as much sense as anything (maybe even more)... b'sides, it's a ton easier than reading all this again.

So?? Who thinks my decision is a bad one?? Let's hear it :laughing:

I can't imagine any saw needing 24:1 and needing tuned rich like that. If so, it's a bandaid for something more serious. Tuning rich leaves all kinds of power on the table.
Long bar for big stumps ......... .404
You would tune it to be up near 16k ?
It very well could be construed as a bandaid.
The saw was purchased used. Sight unseen
Real happy with the purchase, ...... Thank You to you (you know who) for the purchase !!!
find big rod end got hot and blued ........
Knowing bearing pocket problems on these wide body saws, the extra oil is there to insure they get a healthy dose of lube ...........

The pig rich .................... is to limit max WOT.
What RPM do you run your ported 066's (running 36" .404) up to ?

For your saw, probably..................
For my ported 066 that got hot at least once, (and blued the big rod end) I will run 24:1 and keep her pig rich 4 stroking WOT 14,000. My main bearings have already been thanking me !;)
Don't go over the top on me now. A ported 066/660, tuned for your application would probably be something like 13,500-14,000. I'm simply saying that if you're generating so much heat that you have to run that much oil, and tuned that rich, then something is not right.

This might be intentional ............
Take my ported 066, for example
WAAAY rich by most standards, but WOT is 14,000 and studdering its so fat.

So some may limit max WOT rpm by intentionally running rich, which also has a benefit of producing lots of cool running torque, and extra oil for main bearings. Understanding fully that a leaner tune could produce more RPM ................ but choosing to limit RPM and keep cooler temps. I dont have spooge out the mufflers after a good workout, but it will be there if making smaller cuts.

Its not allways cut and dry, stumping aint as tough as milling, but it is definately tougher than cutting firewood.

Stumping definitely is not easy on a saw.

160224488.nj8Lx4KB.jpg

I'd say the 066 would do 15.5-16k with a light 4 stroke.
I went just over 16k for a second, and still heard it 4 stroking :yes:

Don't go over the top on me now. A ported 066/660, tuned for your application would probably be something like 13,500-14,000. I'm simply saying that if you're generating so much heat that you have to run that much oil, and tuned that rich, then something is not right.
She is at 14k now .............. and I dont mind adding the extra oz of oil per gallon, it burns off just fine when she is under a good load ....................it gets real hot sometimes when stumping ............... no place for the heat to get away to

Stumping definitely is not easy on a saw.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I got a little 50:1 bottle of Redmax oil yesterday when i bought my stick edger. Its FD rated. Rebadged something else?

I went just over 16k for a second, and still heard it 4 stroking :yes:

She is at 14k now .............. and I dont mind adding the extra oz of oil per gallon, it burns off just fine when she is under a good load ....................it gets real hot sometimes when stumping ............... no place for the heat to get away to

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
I used to hear that also till i found a better oil .............

Since nobody has posted any engine failures using 32:1 :crazy2:
Hey............. I am still waiting to see any actual pictures of damaged pistons or cylinder walls from washing with too much oil and fuel mixxed. :crazy2:

Maybe we are both wasting time waiting on something that wont happen

Back