A HUGE 'Thank you!' to Jason Stratton, or "How my 046 became amaze-balls!"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenSVT

Where did all these saws come from?!?
Reaction score
So many of you will remember the 046 I picked up in a package deal. It was missing parts and had some damage, but I had big plans for it. I had my sights on a ported 75cc powerhouse!

IMG_20170531_132147031.jpg

IMG_20170531_133236543.jpg
IMG_20170603_170958993.jpg
IMG_20170603_171031178_HDR.jpg

I solicited the opinion of the hive here, and received a few quotes for the rebuild and port job. Jason gave me an offer I couldn't possibly refuse, so off my saw went to Missouri.

By the way, here's how Jason received my saw...eek!
IMG_20170612_192612579.jpg

I'll probably forget some things, but from memory he: replaced all rubber parts, rebuilt the carb, replaced crank bearings and seals, replaced the piston and rings, cleaned up the cylinder, replaced the bad clutch and of course, ported her. He also replaced all of the missing and damaged parts.

What was returned to me was beyond my expectations. She may not be perfect, but man oh man is she beautiful. And boy does she run! I slapped a 20" bar and chain on for play time tonight, but I have a 24" setup coming(from Jason no less!).

I can't say enough good things about Jason's communication. He stayed on task and had the project finished very quickly. His work is phenomenal, and he took into consideration all of my wishes. Thank you Jason! I'm proud to own a JMS saw!

Bask in her glory(I should have taken a picture after installing my precious sticker!)!
IMG_20170624_163426483.jpg
IMG_20170624_163351777.jpg

So many of you will remember the 046 I picked up in a package. It was missing parts and had some damage, but I had big plans for it. I had my sights on a ported 75cc powerhouse!

View attachment 586969

View attachment 586971
View attachment 586972
View attachment 586974

I solicited the opinion of the hive here, and received a few quotes for the rebuild and port job. Jason gave me an offer I couldn't possibly refuse, so off my saw went to Missouri.

By the way, here's how Jason received my saw...eek!
View attachment 586985

I'll probably forget some things, but from memory he: replaced all rubber parts, rebuilt the carb, replaced crank bearings and seals, replaced the piston and rings, cleaned up the cylinder, replaced the bad clutch and of course, ported her. He also replaced all of the missing and damaged parts.

What was returned to me was beyond my expectations. She may not be perfect, but man oh man is she beautiful. And boy does she run! I slapped a 20" bar and chain on for play time tonight, but I have a 24" setup coming(from Jason no less!).

I can't say enough good things about Jason's communication. He stayed on task and had the project finished very quickly. His work is phenomenal, and he took into consideration all of my wishes. Thank you Jason! I'm proud to own a JMS saw!

Bask in her glory(I should have taken a picture after installing my precious sticker!)!
View attachment 586982
View attachment 586984

When I send a saw somewhere in that condition, I get talked about. [emoji3][emoji3]

Put at least a 28" on that saw & let it eat!!

Yes it is! It's my first ported saw and won't be my last!

When I send a saw somewhere in that condition, I get talked about. [emoji3][emoji3]

Put at least a 28" on that saw & let it eat!!

Haha! I felt bad about the "condition" of it, but he said "bring it on!". And then he made something beautiful out of it.

I'm not quite comfortable with that large a bar yet, but the Huztl 660 which is on the way may convince me!

Looking good Greg! Now, cut some wood and let us know what you think.

Thanks Ryan! She's a beaut, eh? I got her out to use on some small stuff last night just to get a feel. I'm dropping big stuff Tuesday, then we'll see what she can do!

Yes it is! It's my first ported saw and won't be my last!

Haha! I felt bad about the "condition" of it, but he said "bring it on!". And then he made something beautiful out of it.

I'm not quite comfortable with that large a bar yet, but the Huztl 660 which is on the way may convince me!

Thanks Ryan! She's a beaut, eh? I out her to use on some small stuff last night just to get a feel. I'm dropping big stuff Tuesday, then we'll see what she can do!
I'd bet your hutzle 660 is gonna have a hard time with this 046. I've ran one of his before and that thing was somethin else :). I like the 660 spikes and west coast cover. Nice touches.

I'd bet your hutzle 660 is gonna have a hard time with this 046. I've ran one of his before and that thing was somethin else :). I like the 660 spikes and west coast cover. Nice touches.

I'd bet you're right lol! I'm having a hard time staying out of the garage!

It actually had that clutch cover when I bought it, so the spikes were totally necessary. It also had a really pretty early 'D' cylinder and dual port muffler.

It's gonna get a lot of use!

Refreshing

Like a cool drink of water. ;)

Its a normal 046 D chamber cylinder but I have seen them down to 15 degrees but this one had 12.
104 116 75 stock.

Its a normal 046 D chamber cylinder but I have seen them down to 15 degrees but this one had 12.
104 116 75 stock.

As someone new to all this, I'll just assume those are all good numbers :)

Well she got a helluva workout today. Found a 4' diameter oak blowdown and put her to work.

She was flawless. Never bogged even when buried in some fairly dry oak. Stuff was hard and heavy and couldn't put up enough fight for the 046.

Good work Jason!

Back