Advanced hydraulics dual pump splitter build diesel mower conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I had the splitter ready. Drive shaft fell off because the yoke is wrong size. Pump is 7/8 and yoke is 1 inch. Opps
Be able to get a part so it's ready for tomorrow?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Last weekends splitting.

The splitter did good on Saturday. Needs some tweaking. Thursday I realized the drive shaft was wrong size and could not find one. Stihlx8 found the correct size yoke and installed it. Friday the oil filter blew a gasket and the filter would not spin off. To much of a surge from the dump valve. Bypassed the filter since the splitter had two filters. Saturday started easier. I challenged the spiltter till it wouldn't split some giant pieces. Turned up the relief pressure from the stock 2000 psi and it started eating the giant pieces. Four way worked great. The beam will flex when cutting wood sideways.

Winch needs a close center valve body not open center.
I slowed down the return stroke with a adjustable flow divider. The divider will be removed and moved to the jack, boom and winch.
The ground speed is to fast. The jack and lift arm are to fast. The winch is also to fast.
One of the drive wheels is needing new seals. It leaks.

So some new plumbing to slow a few things down. Plus some more counter weight in the back or a wheelie wheel. Used about 7 gallons of diesel for the hard day of splitting.

Where is the hydraulic tank? How many gallons?
Hydro tank is black plastic on the side. Last part to attach. Easier to get to fittings with out tank. Hold 15 gallons of hydro oil. Ran all day and stayed cool with cooler.

98aa2576fac6bc4424a7c5537fe87b84.jpg

It did really well considering how you had to get things together before your deadline. I say issues are good as you got to learn something about your machine you didn't know of before, or how to adjust this and that.

Good job on the build Doug! Are you ready for orders now? :D

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Not ready. Considering this took me 11 1/2 months to demo design and build. Started May 24th 2015. Took a bit longer than I wanted and was very messy.
You do very good work. I just picked up a old john deere fairway mower and want to do something similar to yours. Nothing as extensive as yours. I do not have skills like you do. Any advice on things to do and not to do?

Start simple. Break it. Fix it. Make it faster. Break it and learn what you did wrong. This is my 8th splitter. First I have built but added stuff to all of them. I am an Engineer so the first thing I do on new equipment is take the cover off and see what is inside and make it better. I still have 5 of the splitters. Each has it's purpose. Speed vs power vs size. Figure out what will work for you and the wood you have to split.

Start simple. Break it. Fix it. Make it faster. Break it and learn what you did wrong. This is my 8th splitter. First I have built but added stuff to all of them. I am an Engineer so the first thing I do on new equipment is take the cover off and see what is inside and make it better. I still have 5 of the splitters. Each has it's purpose. Speed vs power vs size. Figure out what will work for you and the wood you have to split.
I appreciatate that. Hopefully I don't screw up to much. Lol

Started the process of making adjustment to the hydraulics. Tried the shopvac method of not loosing oil from the tank. Doesn't work so well when the shopvac fills up with oil. Worked for the first hose change but not for the tank return line. So I ended up draining the entire system of oil and fuel to remove the fuel and oil tanks to give me easy access to the hoses.

Moving hoses so the dump valve dumps to the hydraulic tank. The dump valve did go to the cooler then to tank. Next step is rearranging the flow dividers and changing the valve type on the winch.

Finished changing hydraulics last night. Rerouted dump valve to tank. Took out one flow divider. Changed the drive valve to a adjustable flow and direction valve. Changed the valve for the winch. Lowered the flow rates to the drive wheels, winch, 4 way, jack and boom lift. The winch is still to fast but will add a pulley block to cut the speed in half or more. But the winch still will not free spool when the winch handle is moved to free spool. It locks in on direction. Don't understand the handle positions for the winch.
66dc12b5c4c18939065d3e2c8c11b077.jpg

326a77123eb15439b29eba5fb7ca5f60.jpg

Update winch manufacture is sending out new brake for winch. The winch is a counter clockwise winch but only turns clockwise. Locks up when turned counter clockwise. It does free spool but will not power wind. I did try winding the winch backwards and works but locks up when going in other direction. I did learn the difference in a winch vs hoist. Hoist has no free spool and is rated to hold the load in the air.

Still need to:
ad some weight for counter balance while driving
build umbrella mount.
extend seat out a few inches.
build a toolbox holder.

Back