Another one bites the dust....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always sad to hear. It's sounds out dated perhaps too? we will see if one or some of these BC licensee's take it over and put the guys back to work. They will need a mill capable of milling oversize still so it could be back up and running if that's the best choice when all is considered.

Always sad to hear. It's sounds out dated perhaps too? we will see if one or some of these BC licensee's take it over and put the guys back to work. They will need a mill capable of milling oversize still so it could be back up and running if that's the best choice when all is considered.

The mill is already being dismantled and the machinery shipped to various other SPI mills as needed. The ground is up for sale. The Arcata mill is done.

That's a shame for the locals that lost their jobs but the demand wll be filled elsewhere as the oversize still has to be done. Perhaps it will be enough to get people that are otherwise laid off at the other mills working again or even an extra shift that may be available to ones that were affected if a commute or relocation is possible. IDK.
I know many Mills closed on the coast here as free trade states that raw logs can be shipped from private land so the licensee's are quick to invest if it makes sense. Shipping of logs creates softwood sales & Falling work obviously. It's a dispute that has been going on since the 1890's. The law has changed many many times

I suppose they did what made sense economically as they have likely done expensive upgrades for smaller wood operation designed for fast product elsewhere. Location location location may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Exactly why the big W mills all closed in the Puget Sound area. They were big wood mills, and W didn't want to invest in converting them.

Too bad another mill is gone seems to be the trend even around here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I see where Marys Rivers mill in Grays Harbor is all done. Funny, Aberdeen just put up a sign saying "Lumber Capital of the World". There is not one sawmill left in Aberdeen.

Back