autopsy this evening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
my 440 has ceased operation. Yard monkey was running the thing, it started "rattling" then quit...
I pulled the plug, and yarded it a few times. Yep. Rattling is about right.

I will try and get pix when I take it apart.... :crazy2:

IMG_20161025_132121.jpg
something went thru the transfer port. the ring is shattered and the groove is smashed against it. something then managed to get smooshed against the piston exhaust side, and there was pieces in the muffler. both clips are intact, so that ain't it. we cleaned the air filter this morning but I can't see how something got past the closed choke... no clue...
The cylinder still looks good, I am tempted to just replace the piston/rings.

View attachment 533365
something went thru the transfer port. the ring is shattered and the groove is smashed against it. something then managed to get smooshed against the piston exhaust side, and there was pieces in the muffler. both clips are intact, so that ain't it. we cleaned the air filter this morning but I can't see how something got past the closed choke... no clue...
The cylinder still looks good, I am tempted to just replace the piston/rings.

not a needle out of the big end? I would check your bearing races for damage, may be pull the oil seals out and check for debris in the main bearing races give it a good blow out/flush etc, fire some new seals in and new piston and rings. and job should be good to go?

I will take the rest of the saw apart, and yea it makes sense that something came apart from somewhere....
Just a matter of finding it. Ordered a meteor piston and rings from Baileys. But wanna find out what grenaded first.
It had been worked on before, not by me. the big end of the rod does seem a bit "wobbly" for lack of a better word. Quite possibly that one of the needles worked its way outta there and trashed the piston? could I get a new crank/rod for a 12mm ?? It's been a good saw, hate to just toss it into the scrap heap.

Baileys is listing a crank for $140, bearings $20 and $18, gaskets $10
Hmmmm...... Just wanna "go for it". rebuild everything. $200 and about 50 into that piston...
Yep. Making more sense to me. as I think about it.

Turn a basket case into a workable saw. And I liked it....

Meanwhile, I guess I will have to suffer with that Jonsered that Brad had with the big cylinder on it... she runs good.

Oh, I am not in dire need of saws. THere is a 460 out here that runs nice, and a 064 if I really gotta. The ported 460 (thanks again Brad) if I feel the need to really blast blocks off.

I tried this morning to start the 441 m-tronic. didn't even pop. makes a nice door stop.

Is the NWP generally good stuff? good enough for stock?
There is cheaper cranks listed on ebay, but at that price I should I be wary?
I prefer Baileys as I don't think they would sell junk... Just thinking here..... maybe I should not think too much.

Thanks for the feedback Brad,
To me it felt like there was more play than there should be, looser than what I remember from the last time I took a saw apart. so.... I am going to "do the deed" and replace everything. Crank, bearings, seals, piston, etc. I don't have a dishwasher to clean it all up in, but will make do with carb cleaner.

Back