Stihl MS 261 C-M Will Not Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

I had ordered a white valve from e-bay, but as the information from Stihl indicated it is recommended for my model and serial number to use a green solenoid so I had a dealer order a green one.

I replaced my black one with the new green one. I was actually able to get the retaining tab’s screw off without removing the carb, see picture. The screw is indeed a torx 10 with the tamper pin in the middle. I also replaced the fuel filter with the newer orange colored one.

MS 261 C-M Solenoid.jpg

The saw started on the 4th pull!!!

I did the reset and she runs just like it always has, very satisfying.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Update:

I had ordered a white valve from e-bay, but as the information from Stihl indicated it is recommended for my model and serial number to use a green solenoid so I had a dealer order a green one.

I replaced my black one with the new green one. I was actually able to get the retaining tab’s screw off without removing the carb, see picture. The screw is indeed a torx 10 with the tamper pin in the middle. I also replaced the fuel filter with the newer orange colored one.

View attachment 1124931

The saw started on the 4th pull!!!

I did the reset and she runs just like it always has, very satisfying.

Thanks so much for all the help.
Nice work, always satisfying when it all works out.

Back