Bar suggestion for Stihl MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need a bar & chain suggestion for a Stihl MS460. I've pretty much decided that I would like to go with a 28" bar, as I already have a couple 70cc XPs with 20 & 24" bars. I would like to keep the price under $100, any still be as light as possible. Any suggestions?

I think the only 28" guide under $100 is going to be a ROLLOMATIC ES. Perhaps not the lightest option, but it meets your first two requirements. Around here, OREGON parts dealers really mark up their product, but there's always online sources.

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like the ES may be my best option...I may post an ad and see if I can find a decent used one off the site....I hate buying shiny new stuff that's just going to get the paint knocked off the first time I use it!

Will the 460 pull a standard chain on a 28" bar, or would I need a skip? What about a 30-32" bar? The saw is pushing 185psi, and seems to be pretty healthy..

$125 for a 28" bar? Wow... send me your address I've got probably a dozen of them I'll send out for that price!

Guess I missed that.

In any case if I'm logging an area that I'd need a 28" bar the tree is staying there! That would be a ~5ft dbh tree. I run an 18" bar on my 460.

I'm up to my eyeballs in firewood orders, once that slows down a bit I'll be able to organize the bars and chains. Hopefully soon.

Back