Best Chain for Husqvarna 55 with 18" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dropsix

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good day!

I have a Husky 55 which currently has an 18" bar on it with an Oregon 58J chain. After doing some research, I found that this is a chain with a .404 pitch and according to oregon is meant to be on chainsaw's with 65cc or larger motors.

I just got my order of wood yesterday:

So essentially what I am wondering is should I just sharpen this chain and get going or is there a better chain for this type of work? Am I overworking the chainsaw with this chain?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

That saw has no business with a .404 chain on it, but why not try it?

3/8 DPX or LGX Oregon chain is what I'd want on it.

But you will need to see if it has a .404 drive rim/sprocket or a 3/8 drive.

Not sure what is going on with a .404 chain on there. Over the course of this summer I switched back to using husqy branded chains. On my old 61 with an 18" bar I was running a H42 husqy chain, which is your typical 68 link, 3/8ths pitch, chain. Found they last quite a bit longer and had better luck sharpening them.

Just my 0.02

I bought it second hand a couple months ago. Obviously have no clue when it comes to chains and sprockets other than ideally I'd have a .325 chain on it. How can I tell which sprocket it has in it? Wouldn't it have to be a .404?

From what I've been reading on forums, many people are saying that even a 3/8ths chain is too much for this saw. .325 is where it's at.

Could it be Windsor 58j chain, which is .325 ?
This is likely the case. I know Oregon makes a .404 sprocket for these saws, but I really don't see why someone would go down that road...

Just to make sure it is easy to measure the pitch or your chain. I would use a pair of calipers...

just measure what the diagram shows...

Don't forget to divide your measurement by 2

pitch.gif

i have had several (still have 2) of these saws and .325 works just fine for me. i guess it depends on how dirty those logs are that you got. if they are clean, go with the lgx as sunfish suggested. if they were skidded and are dirty, oregon bpx is a great chain, its all i use on smaller saws/dirty wood.

I think not even 3/8"....... the proper chain size could be .325 " 21LPX or BPX or Stihl RMC.
Specially on 18" bar!

Well, mystery solved! It was indeed a windsor 58j. .325 and 0.58

Thanks to Ray Benson!

I just went out and got two Stihl chains and the proper file for them. Got home, installed the chain and hell yeah! Cuts way better! Did a few test cuts but started to get carried away so I had to stop and come in.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

I think not even 3/8"....... the proper chain size could be .325 " 21LPX or BPX or Stihl RMC.
Specially on 18" bar!

Yeah that's why I was a little concerned when I thought it was .404

I actually wanted to go .325 on a 16" bar. Then I search the chain and it's coming up .404

All is well now!

Yeah that's why I was a little concerned when I thought it was .404

I actually wanted to go .325 on a 16" bar. Then I search the chain and it's coming up .404

All is well now!
.325" 16" bar...optimal combination in your case!
Semi chisel or you can go on 16" bar with full chisel chain too.

many people are saying that even a 3/8ths chain is too much for this saw. .325 is where it's at.
I'm a little late to the party but...
My son just rebuilt a 55. All I had for it was a 3/8th 18" set up which cut just fine, but I had 3 new Stihl RS chains in .325, so he bought a bar to run them. We're super happy with the results. .325 cuts nice a smooth and the full chisel throws a good chip.

Nice stack of wood. Looks like saw fun in your future!

The cutting smoothness of the .325 chain with an 18" bar is hard to beat. That's exactly what I use on my Stihl 028 Supers. The Husky Rancher 55 and the Stihl 028 Super have about the same power, but I could be wrong.

Im with ya, i think thats the best combo for that saw.

Glad to hear it! I now have the optimal setting for my saw. Going to start tackling some firewood!

Ya! Let's get to work!

Back