Chain guage ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FXJenkins

Logwood burning through the nights
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running a MS 362, 25" ES Light bar, and 33RS 84 for felling and limbing, and then a MS 461, 25" bar, also with the same chain (33 RS 84), .050" guage for bucking and larger dia trees. According to the manual, the 461 calls for a .063" (1.6mm) chain. Is is a problem that I'm running the smaller guage chain on the 461 so long as the bar is spec'd for the .050" (1.3mm) chain? I just like having one chain to grab for both saws. Thanks in advance.

I am running a MS 362, 25" ES Light bar, and 33RS 84 for felling and limbing, and then a MS 461, 25" bar, also with the same chain (33 RS 84), .050" guage for bucking and larger dia trees. According to the manual, the 461 calls for a .063" (1.6mm) chain. Is is a problem that I'm running the smaller guage chain on the 461 so long as the bar is spec'd for the .050" (1.3mm) chain? I just like having one chain to grab for both saws. Thanks in advance.
No need for .063 under 42” bars, imo, unless it is a huge torque monster and those ain’t :p

As long as you are using the correct chain for the bar and sprocket (look at the specs on the end of the bar), you're good. You will be fine using 3/8" /.050 chain on both saws. I run it on my 361/20", Makita 8400BB/28" and Mac SP 125/36".
EDIT - I misspoke, the SP 125 has 3/8 x .063 chain due to the bar slot. I would run .050 if I could.

I try to keep all of my saws with 3/8 .050 bar and chain. I can interchange and keeps things simple. I do have small saws with smaller chains and bars.

@Philbert provided good information on this. Basically it's the same chain, slimmed to fit in a narrower bar. A little "sideways" strength is lost, but weight is also less so for the most part on your saws there isn't any down-side and it's all positive.

In "the big picture" it's hard[er] to get .063" in the U.S. as .050" is far more common. You'll find some of this and some of that in .063", but if you have an .063" setup you'll start finding "that's not available in .063" and perhaps have to import it (whatever "it" is).

Chain gauge seems to be a largely regional type of thing. Run whatever you like and stick with it. No right or wrong answer really. I run .050 till I hit 36" then jump to .063. Only reason is thats the bar that was available when I needed a larger bar. Haven't ever noticed it being any better or lasting longer then .050 with the powerheads I run.

Back