Best older skidder for steep mtn logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll look around we had a 440 we converted to a 540 grapple back half so I'll see what we have sitting still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

cow face steep but usually no more than half mile ,
generally try to build roads around side of hills to pick-up logs the ups and downs are always steep and real steep
traded for the timber jack 240d haven't got to go pick it up yet
still undecided on loading tires
also looking into chains

If you are on steep, and no chains... pack up and go home in my opinion. I had zero on my rear and could do nothing on 20% or more grade. My TJ is real light in the rear. Also for what its worth, I think Ice-picks suck. wont hardly crawl over a stump on a grade, slides on debris, bla bla bla. Get Bear Paws and weld another inch of grouser on top of the cleats if they are worn down a little. I work soft soil, lots of dead-fall, and lots of rock on steep ground.
Thats what works for me.

Thats a light machine, don't get too greedy ;) Also if you are side-hilling a lot it will walk down with a load on and slide down easier than a heavier machine, just a heads up.

btw I have one loaded tire on the rear, the other had a new tube put in but no juice I am guessing. Can't tell you if its really worth it or not. I did almost roll it once and that was the tire without the juice that came up on me. So probably worth it if your tires are in ok shape. Mine are not so I won't waste the money.

If you are on steep, and no chains... pack up and go home in my opinion. I had zero on my rear and could do nothing on 20% or more grade. My TJ is real light in the rear. Also for what its worth, I think Ice-picks suck. wont hardly crawl over a stump on a grade, slides on debris, bla bla bla. Get Bear Paws and weld another inch of grouser on top of the cleats if they are worn down a little. I work soft soil, lots of dead-fall, and lots of rock on steep ground.
Thats what works for me.

Thats a light machine, don't get too greedy ;) Also if you are side-hilling a lot it will walk down with a load on and slide down easier than a heavier machine, just a heads up.

btw I have one loaded tire on the rear, the other had a new tube put in but no juice I am guessing. Can't tell you if its really worth it or not. I did almost roll it once and that was the tire without the juice that came up on me. So probably worth it if your tires are in ok shape. Mine are not so I won't waste the money.
are you running chains on all 4 tires ?

are you running chains on all 4 tires ?

Yes. I have the Ice picks up front and hate them. Bear paws on back. I am used to having bear paws on all four and the ice picks just do not perform well in my terrain.
I had just the pair on the front when I got it to the mountain. Worthless... I've seen a lot of guys running it that way and all I can say is that must be flatland stuff there...

We always ran the bear paws all the way around year round unless we'd drop them to run down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I use a 240 a with wide track housing and 24.5 x 32.I also put a five speed standard tranny instead of 4 speed.It helps with steep uphill pulls were you have to drop your wood to upstep from one ledge to the next

Have 2 JD440s with tracks.
Have Seat belt in them, no problem getting bounced up into the rops/fops. Have used them fore and aft on 45 degree slopes, sideways only on about 30% but have seen used sideways at 45 degrees, but i'm to 'chicken' to ru sideways over 30 deg. One is blades, the other front bucket. Only used bucket in ground position on slopes.

relatively low ground clearance, having a winch is good as more than once had to winch myself off a small stump in the brush. Have a wich roller at abut 5 ft high - biggest ever have skidded was 3 ft dia Dfir 30 ft long easily on level ground with big end off the ground.

Have a bobcat with tracks that will flip itself on anything over 20 deg or so unless backing uphill. For fun, do a search for bobcat gymnastics for bobcat instability demos.

Back