best source for carbide chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all I would like to try a loop of carbide chain for cutting stumps off at ground level before I grind them and am looking for the best place to buy them. I called Madsens and they said they don't carry them, my local dealers don't either. baileys sells them for over $120 for the 72dl 0.50 I don't really want to pay that for one. I'd like to stay under $80 if possible. if you know of any place that is reasonable or have an extra one that you would sell let me know. thanks David.

Oregon has carbide coated chain I think the Stihl duro stuff has a carbide insert. Baileys has some pretty crazy prices to get genuine Stihl stuff. You will need a diamond wheel to sharpen and most likely need to change a few cutters if you hit something you didn't expect.

Plunging in so that you are always having the chain cutting coming out of the part of the tree in the ground then bumping it with a machine to crack it off is the technique I found. It takes a number of plunge and cut around episodes.

Someone on Ebay has the Stihl Duro. I think it was close to your price range....maybe a little more with shipping. I can post a link later if you can't find it.

Go to the Stihl dealer. Duro for 20" bars is around $80 in my area. Not all dealers believe in it. I bought some Stihl from Redbull. I think its great stuff for special jobs. Probably the most reasonable priced thing Stihl sells. If you can't find it I could send you some at cost and shipping.;):D

The older 33/36RD has a habit of losing the Carbide insert for no reason in hardwood. Stihl have discontinued 33/36RD and are now running 33/36RD3 even though 33/36RD can still be found. Apparently the design of the RD3 means it is very hard to throw the Carbide insert out. As mentioned though Carbide isn't the answer to everything and if you hit something hard you can class it as a $30 mistake minimum. I use it myself occasionally and in dirty covered hardwood filed with termites it is invaluable. Just remember though that in really dirty/sandy conditions you'll chew your bar groove out quick smart. I only use cheap bars now when using Carbide after destroying the rails on a brand new 20" Tsumura in 4 hours.

Back