Best spark plug?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinj

Whatarya, Goofy?
Reaction score
Is there a brand of spark plug that is better than all the rest? What are the real differences between them ?
I have a MS361 that is in the process of being muffler modified, and want to keep it running in top performance. Thanks to all who respond.

Bosch or NGK in a stihl. I've pulled new champion plugs out of a stihl that won't start and put in a dirty old Bosch, and the saw fires right up.
-Ralph

I second

begleytree said:
Bosch or NGK in a stihl. I've pulled new champion plugs out of a stihl that won't start and put in a dirty old Bosch, and the saw fires right up.
-Ralph

Yup, pretty much all I use as well. I've had some that I've neglected to change for much longer than I should have and they just keep firing... Have not really noticed a difference between Bosch & NGK though, both have performed fine for me. I mostly use Bosch, because that's what's been readily available.

I use the new E3 plugs. They centralize the burn in the cylinder without me having to worry about degreeing the standard style of plug. They do burn a bit hotter than the like heat range of standard style plug, but nothing a little bit richer fuel mix can't take care of. AND then there is the $6 apiece price factor, but those are the only two "downs" I can think of.

Plug degreeing is where you turn the open end of the plug gap down toward the center of the top of the piston "where the plug comes into the cylinder on a slight angle"... Degreeing does no real good where your plug comes in through the dead top center of the cylinder, which is another reason why the E3's are so nice.

Anyone who has ever run a saw with a degreed plug "where it can be degreed" knows what I'm talking about as far as how much better they run and respond ;)

Now as far as regular plugs goes... Personally don't like Champion and haven't had too much longevity luck out of the NGK's. SO I preferred using the Bosch's "degreed" until I started using the E3's.... Now I don't have to worry about using degreeing washers or anything, just throw in the new plug and do a quick tune up...

Just my opinion on the subject....
Greg

I have had dead in the box plugs from all makes. I like to use O.E.M. plugs if I can. Bosch seem to work good, cannot say that I have had better or worse luck with any common name brand lately. Usually the problem I have is the previous owner of the saw installed a J8J where a DJ8J should go or a Jonsered with a Bosch 6 series instead of 7, wasted some time yesterday looking for a high RPM miss and then stall without even thinking about the plug at first. Used correct used plug and it is a screaming red and black wood slayer.:clap:

Years ago, in the bush, when someone had a problem with thier saw my boss would pull the plug, if it was NGK he would say "NFG!!" and fire it into the trees. He got me into Bosch, I used NGK plugs in my pickup when they were the only ones I could get, they worked fine as well. I try and use Bosch.

I have never had a problem with any plug brand. I mostly use NGK or Bosch, because thats what my dealer stocks.
Of course I am not one to change spark plugs. I have one 372 that i bought in 03 that has the original plug in it.

Bosch with a box of NGKs handy for old Johnsreds that have the wire you need to have to have a removeable terminal for, ACs in Chevies, Champions in Jeep 4.0s, Autolites in tractors except the A JD, he gets a W18 Champion
Champion does make a good plug, its's the "spark" part they have to work on.
Still have an Xl12 running on a countersunk terminal Champion, so who knows.

I use the new E3 plugs. They centralize the burn in the cylinder without me having to worry about degreeing the standard style of plug. They do burn a bit hotter than the like heat range of standard style plug, but nothing a little bit richer fuel mix can't take care of. AND then there is the $6 apiece price factor, but those are the only two "downs" I can think of.

Plug degreeing is where you turn the open end of the plug gap down toward the center of the top of the piston "where the plug comes into the cylinder on a slight angle"... Degreeing does no real good where your plug comes in through the dead top center of the cylinder, which is another reason why the E3's are so nice.

Anyone who has ever run a saw with a degreed plug "where it can be degreed" knows what I'm talking about as far as how much better they run and respond ;)

Now as far as regular plugs goes... Personally don't like Champion and haven't had too much longevity luck out of the NGK's. SO I preferred using the Bosch's "degreed" until I started using the E3's.... Now I don't have to worry about using degreeing washers or anything, just throw in the new plug and do a quick tune up...

Just my opinion on the subject....
Greg

I just installed an E3 in my saw. I'm going to put 10-12 hours on it over the weekend and see how it goes. They aren't cheap, but they do have a lifetime guaranty, as well as claims of improved fuel economy, increased power output, and reduced emissions.

www.e3sparkplugs.com

I agree

-Ralph

My Jred dealer only recommends ngk or Bosch and I have had the best of luck with them, but will only run A.C delco in my Chevy and champion in my powerwagon. Because thats what they came with,no not really it is a persona; preference.

The answer to your question is 361 or 5100...... Opps wrong thread.

:monkey:
I would put a Bosch or NGK plug into a 361 or 5100.:blob2:

They seem to work good in all my Chainsaws.

Just say no to Champion

After losing a saw due to the electrode coming off a champion plug, and seeing the damage done to a Artic cat ATV due to the same thing. I would not put a Champion plug in a dogs butt. I like NGK.

After losing a saw due to the electrode coming off a champion plug, and seeing the damage done to a Artic cat ATV due to the same thing. I would not put a Champion plug in a dogs butt. I like NGK.

:laugh: I'm sorry about sounding rude here, because I'm not laughing about your engines being destroyed from the plugs, instead I am just remembering something. Champion plugs are the whole reason why Nascar no longer uses a spark plug with a ground electrode. Don't get me wrong here... Other plugs were doing the same thing, but Champions acounted for 90 some % of "problem childs"... Now they use plugs with "of course" the center electrode, but instead of having any ground electrodes, they have a ring that basically just closes up the gap some at the base of the plug.

Back