Buying a "Senior Saw" :comparison thread- Echo CS361P,Stihl MS241CM, Husqvarna 543XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kantuckid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My 72 yr old, surgically repaired shoulder tells me I want a lighter, easier starting saw than my old Stihl 034 AV (w 036jug set). The Stihl is used w/16" and at times with 20" bar.
I'm currently looking at these three saws named above, all with a 16" bar. I'm an experienced user-maybe too experienced looking at my shoulder,etc., HA!:) If I go for a lighter saw it must continue to do most all my timberland work, which includes big stuff at times, for which I can keep the 034 for a pinch but it's a hard start for shoulder with the 036 jug set now!
The Echo is the cheapest saw and discounted too. It's Also less cc.s than the Stihl & Husky saws. So, the Husqvarna & the Stihl are lighter than my current saw but not nearly so much as the Echo.
So, based on weight & price the Echo gets my nod. I've owned two Echo saw's in the 70's & 80's and both were top notch saws but models change things.
I just waded through the old Stihl 241 thread with 28 pages,whew! That guy/OP thinks his dad's old in 50's, not so much to many of us...
Stihl brand has been an old friend for certain!
I'm gonna hit a local Echo dealer tomorrow and pick up some saws for comparison feel.
I have no idea what my local Stihl guy will do me on a new 241 price but I did find one lightly used for $350.
Open to some thoughts here.
For reference the dry head weights are: Stihl034-11.6#'s, Echo CS 361P-8.4 #'s, Husky543XP-9.92#'s,Stihl CS241CM- 9.9#'s
THANKS!

The 543xp feels cheap, almost like a toy. Rarely do I ever judge a saw by its feel alone, but just feels like it should be about half the price... And I just couldn't get off the cash for it based on what I saw.

I do own a 241, and couldn't be any happier with it. I use it for light work, and carving. It isn't going to take the place of my 550xp in performance (although it is noticeable lighter) but it wasn't intended to.

If you are watching $ closely I would look hard at the Echo. They make one of the best saws out there for the money.

Much as people knock them, take a look at one of the "easy start" systems. My Dad got one on his MS250 years ago when his shoulder was hurt, and I have one on another saw - they do take stress off and I found they don't work too bad.

Hi

Personally one of the best all around saws in that class, for me is the Dolmar 421. Pro built with easy start (so easy children can start them with no problem) and a really strong saw! You get the feeling it wants to cut one size up. A few members here use them professionally and have run hundreds of refills through them without any problem. It is slighty heavier than your other choices.

The husqvarna 543 is actually a Zenoah(Zenoah now belongs to Husqvarna) chainsaw. It is built like many high quality japanese chainsaws and NOT like a swedish one. So this is the major problem I see with all the complaints. Everyone is expecting swedish and not japanese. I have never read of any problems about them. Either non are sold or they run more or less problem free. And there must be a reason why a company like Husqvarna sell's a japanese saw under their name!

The 241, you pay for the name a lot! It is an excelent saw that will no doubt make you happy.

I wouldn't exclude the new Stihl 201. They are a snotty little bastard and quite a few use them as a pair with a 60cc saw!

Many, very knowledgble members, here sing praises about the Echo 400. Light, powerful after a muffler mod and very good build quality at a VERY cheap price!

Further I have had excellent experiences with Efco = Oleo Mac chainsaws. The models 4100 & 4400 would fit into your weight expectation. Of course not a pro saw but for me, in your situation, still a very good option.

As mentioned above, I would definately include a "easy start" system in your choice. I hurt my shoulder a few years ago and was very happy that my pro dolmar 50cc saw had a decompression valve! With that I was able to cut all the firewood I needed.

Please expand on the easy start thing? I assume you mean the newer start systems on modern saws?
While I'm a former pro wrench-cars and heavy industry,helo's were my game in another life. Also a retired tech teacher so a pretty greasy guy but saws not as much but I wrench all I've owned.
I have a decompression valve (guy on the other forum sent a couple) that I have been considering putting on my 034 saw but the Tecomec jug has very little room for error in placement up there on top(have to cut into a fin, so on)-hate to mess up a great saw. It's now an 036 as that jug set boosts the size up from a normal o34 AV Farm Boss, which also makes it a hard pull on my shoulders! I'm a healthy active guy but age is age and my days of college football, HS wrestling and so on have taken there toll-not counting too much hard work.
Only easy starts systems I know are the ones in the current advertising on the saws I listed and come on the saw. One guy told me to consider a D-handle as a way to jerk easier.
As for poor Japanese quality-I thought that went away after the post war years of junk(ala my childhood of beer can toys) and the Chinese are the new whipping post ? FWIW, I ride a BMW MC with a Chinese built 650cc engine- great bike too. But junk is junk and I believe you as Husky model is described. That 543xp is about $465 best price I've found. The Stihl I don't have a real price as yet as not real handy to talk eye to eye. Echo will be Tuesday.
Thanks for the thoughts! keep it coming...

The Zenoah saws are not cheaply built at all, they are very light and have a different feel.

The easy start systems have two springs - you pull them slow and when the main spring is wound enough to overcome compression then they spin up the engine. It's just hard to remember not to pull them hard and fast.

The Zenoah saws are not cheaply built at all, they are very light and have a different feel.

The easy start systems have two springs - you pull them slow and when the main spring is wound enough to overcome compression then they spin up the engine. It's just hard to remember not to pull them hard and fast.
Pulling hard and fast is the fastest way to ruining them! Actually you pull them very relaxed.

Check out the dolmar 421, at a little over 300$ they belong to the best buys out there. Dolmar = Makita (makita is now the parent company) Dolmar makes all their saws in Hamburg Germany and have been in the buisness for decades.

So, can you buy an easy start? I'll look online...
As for Dolmar 421-it weighs near my old saw, the 034.

I see the Stihl "easy start" on models I don't want!

I would recommend the Echo CS400 and plan on opening up the muffler, pulling the limiters and tossing the safety chain in the trash can or keep it for cutting brush or roots. After the muffler mod and richening up the carb settings it will cut nicely up to 12" hardwood or so and a little more if you are patient with a light hand and sharp chain. Stihl PS or Oregon VXL are good chain choices.

Mine is extremely easy to start, always runs after 3 pulls cold and is very lightweight and handles nicely. Very good quality for the price. I would also consider the Dolmar 421 or Stihl MS251C-BE good choices as others have noted.

So, can you buy an easy start? I'll look online...
As for Dolmar 421-it weighs near my old saw, the 034.

I see the Stihl "easy start" on models I don't want!
The 421 is lighter than an 034. Closer to the weight of an 026. I can tell you on the dolmar easy start. My ported 6100s are running over 200 comp and my 11 year old son can start them. And the 421 starts even easier. It takes a lot of echo to run with the 421. I have a pair of cs-500ps here to be ported and stock the 421 dolmar will easily out cut them.

My grandfather has a torn rotator cuff, and he was easily able to start my husqvarna 545 even with the decompression off/on it didn't matter. He said it was easier to start than his 024 super. The 550/545 are lower compression engines from the factory. The 550/545 are lightweight (10.8lbs) and pack a punch for there size. The 545 is usually cheaper than the ms241 or the 543xp and is close to the echo's price.

That's some ideas on saw models. I've never seen a Dolmar in my area which is the second largest hardwood market in the world, so there are some saws and mills around here! I like German engineering as in cars, saws are a new idea.
As for yer grandpa having a torn rotator cuff, join the crowd. I'm not a medical guy but my shoulder on one side has 4 titanium screws in combo with a specialized cord around around them in an X pattern within a square, that assist holding it together. The doc barely could sew my cuff back in place with no warranty implied. It works but will never have regular strength again. Hundreds of thousands of people have what are called self healed rotator cuffs which I can also relate to as mines been through that several times, both sides. A self heal is not only common but can be very strong. I went to a bunch of docs and it's absolutely amazing the crap I was exposed to before I got to the one that said, WOW, why didn't you get this fixed? The guy before him sent me to get some NSAI gel that Medicare denied anyway. It gets worse before that. End of shoulder rant, it it what it is and I'm happy I can pick up my grandaughters.
Today I go for my 12 months post op on shoulder while doing PT on a THR-that means a total hip.
Meanwhile my shops stone cold, my MC and tools are gettin antsy.:nofunny::sucks::angry:
The Echo has my eye for now and waiting on a reply on a used 241 price point.

Pulling hard and fast is the fastest way to ruining them! Actually you pull them very relaxed.

Check out the dolmar 421, at a little over 300$ they belong to the best buys out there. Dolmar = Makita (makita is now the parent company) Dolmar makes all their saws in Hamburg Germany and have been in the buisness for decades.

I like true German made products. But you can't always dis the japs either. Japanese have always built great engines cars, cycles, marine engines. They set standards for performance on a budget and reliability. True German products are precise well casted and machined.

I just looked at the Dolmar saws and I get the attraction. I'm on a lighter saw kick and they offer less than 1 pound of weight loss compared to my 034-not enough to change saws with weight loss as my incentive!
In todays world wide economy many of the "German" and "Japanese" engineers are USA folks, it's a fact. The mfg standards are the thing nowdays. BMW is a brand I know very well and they are getting stuff from all over these days as are the Asians. Look at Korean cars and how far they've come. Taiwan makes some great stuff for large mfgs too.
Hard now days to point at a country and say "theirs" is the best.
Echo's a stop today. I also have an offer from the seller on the used 241 to compare too.

How about a clean second hand 026 pro/MS260 with the decomp and run a small, light bar? Lots of them out there at good prices at the moment.

I've had both shoulders reconstructed and mine is light and very easy to start esp when running a 15" bar.

Now if I didn't make a habit of falling off my mountain bike doing silly things I may have never really appreciated decomps on small saws...

Latest posts

Back