New here first post Husqvarna 266xp vs Echo CS620P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Bergstedt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I currently have a Husqvarna 266XP I am running a 20” full chisel 3/8 chain on it. Last few times I have had it out I haven’t been very impressed, it just seems to be loosing its pep. I cut 7-10 cord a year mostly pin oak, mulberry, and maple. I run an Echo CS370 for my limb work and anything under 8” then use the husky to finish off the tree. I have been looking for a new saw recently and keep getting drawn back to the Echo CS620P. I like the fact that it is a carb saw without electronic adjustment and it has more of an old school feel. Something I can work on at home. But the Stihl MS400C is also very interesting. I really don’t know much about the newer offerings from Husqvarna in the 60-70cc size. I am wanting to run a 3/8 full chisel 24-25” bar again felling and firewood use I want to stay pro series not “farm/ranch”. I’m not very particular on what color of orange I run as long as it holds up really don’t have much of a dedicated saw shop around me to have that weigh in on my decision. All advice welcomed
Echo $650
Stihl $1100 ($750 eBay used)
Husqvarna????

Attachments

• 89ECF857-6B5D-47E5-A984-8E91221AFFAD.jpeg
    89ECF857-6B5D-47E5-A984-8E91221AFFAD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I currently have a Husqvarna 266XP I am running a 20” full chisel 3/8 chain on it. Last few times I have had it out I haven’t been very impressed, it just seems to be loosing its pep. I cut 7-10 cord a year mostly pin oak, mulberry, and maple. I run an Echo CS370 for my limb work and anything under 8” then use the husky to finish off the tree. I have been looking for a new saw recently and keep getting drawn back to the Echo CS620P. I like the fact that it is a carb saw without electronic adjustment and it has more of an old school feel. Something I can work on at home. But the Stihl MS400C is also very interesting. I really don’t know much about the newer offerings from Husqvarna in the 60-70cc size. I am wanting to run a 3/8 full chisel 24-25” bar again felling and firewood use I want to stay pro series not “farm/ranch”. I’m not very particular on what color of orange I run as long as it holds up really don’t have much of a dedicated saw shop around me to have that weigh in on my decision. All advice welcomed
Echo $650
Stihl $1100 ($750 eBay used)
Husqvarna????
What kind of compression?
what are your WOT rpms?

I need to check the compression and I guess I need to buy a tach as well because I don’t have answers to those questions sorry. Those should have been first on my list 😔
Should run 12,500-13k
I think the one i just rebuilt has 180# comp with new piston/rings.
My original 266xp from the 80s ran 13k and wore a 24" bar, comp chiz, 7t rim. It would pull a 32" with no problems using full skip. It got tired after many years and who knows how many cord. Re-ring got it right back to normal.

A good 266xp should cut circles around a 620, Imo

If you hate it, send it to me for disposal 😃

I had a local fellow here that brought a Echo 670 to me wanting it ported so it would beat the other fellows around him that were running 266XP`s , with a bit of port work the 270 could come close but really never reached the performance of the venerable 266. I have not seen or worked on a 620 but unless Echo went quad port I doubt one could come close to beating the 266XP with the same bar, chain and in the same wood.

What say you if I throw a husky 365 x-torque in the mix Or would the 372 be more worth the extra money??

I had a local fellow here that brought a Echo 670 to me wanting it ported so it would beat the other fellows around him that were running 266XP`s , with a bit of port work the 270 could come close but really never reached the performance of the venerable 266. I have not seen or worked on a 620 but unless Echo went quad port I doubt one could come close to beating the 266XP with the same bar, chain and in the same wood.
Yes, 620 is a closed quad port cylinder

What say you if I throw a husky 365 x-torque in the mix Or would the 372 be more worth the extra money??
Those are the same saw if you don't mind a little bit of tinkering and a standard air filter with the low cover instead of the high top. Same bar mount as your 266xp for an added bonus.

Yes, 620 is a closed quad port cylinder
That would give it an edge over the 670, the 266`s were dam fine saws power wise, there were a good amount of them around these parts and I had the chance to run, repair and rebuild a few of them in their heyday.

That would give it an edge over the 670, the 266`s were dam fine saws power wise, there were a good amount of them around these parts and I had the chance to run, repair and rebuild a few of them in their heyday.
590 is a quad port too, and it was just a hair behind a 680 stock for stock when I ran them, 620 should beat the 670/680 given the cylinder design and the overall layout

Really hope to be able to run a 266 some day to see what they’re all about, I did get to run a 272 and I honestly wasn’t that impressed. The 272 could’ve just been tired from age but my muffler modded 620 was cutting right with it in 24” oak. Also heard the 266 has a smaller combustion chamber, so it ran really good for the displacement IIRC

Really hope to be able to run a 266 some day to see what they’re all about, I did get to run a 272 and I honestly wasn’t that impressed. The 272 could’ve just been tired from age but my muffler modded 620 was cutting right with it in 24” oak. Also heard the 266 has a smaller combustion chamber, so it ran really good for the displacement IIRC
Hope you find a good one someday, I suppose the 2 series saws are getting more difficult to find these days in really good low hour condition.

Since you own a 620, what is your honest opinion of it? I know I have seen a quite a few videos saying they lack a little in stock form but they really improved with a few small modifications. How long have you had it, any issues? How does it compare to a stihl? I’m not here to throw thousands of dollars around just for a certain paint color if there is no reason to

Since you own a 620, what is your honest opinion of it? I know I have seen a quite a few videos saying they lack a little in stock form but they really improved with a few small modifications. How long have you had it, any issues? How does it compare to a stihl? I’m not here to throw thousands of dollars around just for a certain paint color if there is no reason to
I really enjoy that saw. I’ve had for around a year IIRC, but it’s been used pretty hard. It was slower than my muffler modded 590 in stock trim, but after a muffler mod, tune and break in, it runs right with or outcuts any other 60cc I’ve put it against. It’ll outcut a 362, and it’s nipping at the heels of a slightly broken in 400C, it also cuts right with the 272 Husqvarna IME, though the 272 might’ve been tired from age

I really enjoy that saw. I’ve had for around a year IIRC, but it’s been used pretty hard. It was slower than my muffler modded 590 in stock trim, but after a muffler mod, tune and break in, it runs right with or outcuts any other 60cc I’ve put it against. It’ll outcut a 362, and it’s nipping at the heels of a slightly broken in 400C, it also cuts right with the 272 Husqvarna IME, though the 272 might’ve been tired from age
Thank you for your feedback I’m probably going to pick one up this week. I’ve never had a brand new saw 🥹

Latest posts

Back