New here first post Husqvarna 266xp vs Echo CS620P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a Husqvarna 266xp from Slavaina. Tomos and that thing rips! I own 140 chainsaws, And I find myself always grabbing my 266xp when I want to make the chips fly! I took the stock carburator off and installed a 255 carburator from a 272K demo saw I have and drilled a few holes in the exaust pipe and that woke that thing up! I'm a firm believer that if you want a badass chainsaw you need to step back at least twenty five years or more and get your hands on a good saw! All of these saws you can buy today are so smothered with crap choking off the saws power to save the planet! But good running saws and saving mother earth don't work well at all! And I don't know about you? But I love to disturb the peace with a knarly sounding saw! And you don't even have to say anything about how badass it is! It speaks for itself.

The 620P is a lot of saw for the money, IMO. I love mine. I had a 590 that I beat the living hell out of for years and it ran like a champ. I traded it in for the 620P when my dealer offered my a trade-in offer I couldn’t refuse.

My MS 400 C-M is step up in performance and is lighter, but much more expensive around here. I appreciate M-Tronic at my altitude and changing conditions. I don’t mind tuning carbs, but I appreciate one less thing to do when felling trees. I also don’t think the M-Tronic adds any meaningful complexity. It’s still a simple saw.

If I could only keep one saw, I’d be very happy with either. They’re both excellent saws and there is not a wrong choice, IMO.

i am a bit bias being a 266 lover for many years. I would stick with that and re-ring it, look after it and keep it sharp. They are a great saw as long as you can pull it over fast enough but they are almost bomb proof

I have a CS600P and several 266 and 61’s, also a jred 630 super. My 600P has a new OEM top end, carb work, muffler mod, advanced ignition timing, and red beard air filter. It runs very close to a “fresh” 266 with those mods. Stock to stock if both saws are not worn out 266 is faster. I’d be willing to bet a fresh 630 super and 620P would be pretty close in cut time with a 20” bar and 33RS chain. Could be wrong but I’m not about to buy a new 620 to find out. Longer bar I think the 620P would take the win due to the longer stroke.

That's very interesting. I love my muffler modded 590 but I was thinking about flipping it and upgrading to the 620. I know you can mod the timing on the 590 to match the 620. I wonder if that would close the gap a little?
Yes that would close the gap by a decent margin. The muffler is super restrictive in both

Yes that would close the gap by a decent margin. The muffler is super restrictive in both
266XP muffler is a hollow can they flow pretty good. 266SE mufflers have a baffle inside so they’re more restrictive but not quite like the 590/620 mufflers. Don’t know what echo was thinking, those mufflers are some of the worst I’ve seen.

266XP muffler is a hollow can they flow pretty good. 266SE mufflers have a baffle inside so they’re more restrictive but not quite like the 590/620 mufflers. Don’t know what echo was thinking, those mufflers are some of the worst I’ve seen.
Once you gut the mufflers on them they wake up pretty good. I haven’t found a faster 60cc saw than my 620, I’m sure a 562 would beat it but Husky support is nonexistent here

My stumpshot ported 266 is my favorite saw
I have like 25-35 saws
262/266/268/272/2171/2172/288/395
Doesn't have the balls of my zoo city 372s
But is more compact and is a sword with a 24" in hardwood
Just a more comfortable saw for me to run
I've ran the 1 and 2 series since the 1980s
There's nothing wrong at all wanting a modern saw
The vintage saws especially with the 2 piece coils are not every day
Commercial saws anymore.
I enjoy them and have parts support for them.
I had a echo 590 for 7 Year's great 60cc saw 20" bar easy 24" occasionally
But nowhere near the capability of a ported 266
A stock 266 is a fine saw it ruled the
Poplar cutter's here in the 80s
You'd see them piled up in the timber cutter's trucks.

The Echo mufflers all have cats, except the new gen with strato engines. Those ones don't even have caps on the carb screws.

You are in luck, we have a 266 and two 620PW's in the line-up here. I recently had to replace the P/C on the 266 and it was IMPOSSIBLE to find a new one NOS or otherwise. It had served us well for decades but the carb screen plugged up enough to lean it out and damage the P/C. I was able to get a near mint OEM P/C from a member here so it's back in service.

Even so we have pretty much retired it because the 620PW's are just better all the way around. STOOPID simple to work on, excellent anti-vibe and ergonomics, and PLENTY of power to run bars up to 28" without much trouble. Both of ours are outfitted with 20" bars and semi-chisel chains and they are go-to saws on every outing. I also have a CS-590 and 600P with a 620 carb on it. Unless you are bucking up logs over about 18" not a nickels worth of difference between all of them with a correctly sharpened chain. I even did some times cutting a while back with all three and you really can't tell much difference.

In any case I'd get the CS-620PW "X" power version and never look back. They make and sell every single part for it unlike the old 266/268/272's.......

I currently have a Husqvarna 266XP I am running a 20” full chisel 3/8 chain on it. Last few times I have had it out I haven’t been very impressed, it just seems to be loosing its pep. I cut 7-10 cord a year mostly pin oak, mulberry, and maple. I run an Echo CS370 for my limb work and anything under 8” then use the husky to finish off the tree. I have been looking for a new saw recently and keep getting drawn back to the Echo CS620P. I like the fact that it is a carb saw without electronic adjustment and it has more of an old school feel. Something I can work on at home. But the Stihl MS400C is also very interesting. I really don’t know much about the newer offerings from Husqvarna in the 60-70cc size. I am wanting to run a 3/8 full chisel 24-25” bar again felling and firewood use I want to stay pro series not “farm/ranch”. I’m not very particular on what color of orange I run as long as it holds up really don’t have much of a dedicated saw shop around me to have that weigh in on my decision. All advice welcomed
Echo $650
Stihl $1100 ($750 eBay used)
Husqvarna????
first. thing I'd reccomend is that you make sure your old 266 is in good shape. Try a new chain and bar. Make sure your carb is adjusted correctly. It should be able to idle nicely and spin (perhaps) 11000 rpm, but rich enough to rev from idle to wfo without hesitation. I like to use a 72cc saw for my go-to. My favorite is the Husky 372xp. It's a strato, what husky calls xtorq which gives it a really wide power band. It sips mix so slow that you wish it would run dry so you can take a dang break. It lacks the electronic EPA. nonsense. I've cut many cords with mine and done a lot of tree work too. I'm sure its more expensive than the echo but probably worth it.

My stumpshot ported 266 is my favorite saw
I have like 25-35 saws
262/266/268/272/2171/2172/288/395
Doesn't have the balls of my zoo city 372s
But is more compact and is a sword with a 24" in hardwood
Just a more comfortable saw for me to run
I've ran the 1 and 2 series since the 1980s
There's nothing wrong at all wanting a modern saw
The vintage saws especially with the 2 piece coils are not every day
Commercial saws anymore.
I enjoy them and have parts support for them.
I had a echo 590 for 7 Year's great 60cc saw 20" bar easy 24" occasionally
But nowhere near the capability of a ported 266
A stock 266 is a fine saw it ruled the
Poplar cutter's here in the 80s
You'd see them piled up in the timber cutter's trucks.
It’ll bury those echo’s, 😆👍IMG_2156.jpeg

I have three more in same condition, and ported , they’ll cut all day and ask for more 👍
Are they stronger than the 272? IIRC they generally have smaller combustion chambers like the 181 to the 288. I've never seen or ran a 266 in person, but I have ran a 272.

Latest posts

Back