Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb59

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
About 4 years ago, I moved from Florida (upon retiring from the Air Force) to Dutch Country Pennsylvania. I love the outdoors but have never really been much of a rugged handyman type. Mainly because I've never had to be like that. I guess it's true what they say, that you are a product of your environment. Now my environment is such that those skills sure would come in handy. Especially when it comes to chainsaws. I had never used until a couple years ago - since my wife and I now have a fireplace. Three years ago, I bought a Craftsman chainsaw. After 3 or 4 uses, I couldn't cut hardly anything bigger than small tree branch. I changed chains on it 3 times and made sure the chain always had oil in it as well as making sure the chain was tight before each use. Finally, this past summer, I broke down and purchased one of the lower end Stihl chainsaws.

The first time I used the Stihl, it was on an old piece of 4"x8" lumber. The Stihl cut through it like it was butter. I used it sparingly over the next few times, on smaller sized branches and such - with no problems. Then about a month ago, I went to cut up some old dead trees for firewood and the Stihl started acting like the old Craftsman I've had a few years (though hardly got much use out of). It was taking me several minutes to cut through a relatively small tree branch, not only that but the chainsaw was smoking somewhat, sort of like the Craftsman used to.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's something I'm missing or not doing. I had the man show me how to operate the Stihl - when I purchased it. I've watched a couple dozen videos on Youtube about chainsaws (operation of and upkeep of). I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Sounds like a dull chain

That was my first (and only) thought as that's the only thing that makes sense to me. But I've hardly used the chainsaw. I just expected to get more use out of a chain than this. Almost seems cost prohibiting if I have to buy a new chain after every small tree that I cut up.

I guess my next step is honing my chain sharpening skills.

Thanks for your reply KenJax.

Joe

Whether you've cut 100 logs or 1 log, touch the dirt or ground ONCE and it will take the edge off the chain.

Whether you've cut 100 logs or 1 log, touch the dirt or ground ONCE and it will take the edge off the chain.
I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me then.

Thank you for your wisdom.

And you do not need a new chain just a chain file and sharpen it! You own a chain saw you should know how to sharpen it. One pebble placed in the crotch of a branch by a bird will dull the chain.No the chain is not junk no you do not need to buy a new chain every time it gets dull. Just watch some videos or if your local chainsaw shop is any kind of decent they should gladly show you how to sharpen your chain when you buy the file from them.

And you do not need a new chain just a chain file and sharpen it! You own a chain saw you should know how to sharpen it. One pebble placed in the crotch of a branch by a bird will dull the chain.No the chain is not junk no you do not need to buy a new chain every time it gets dull. Just watch some videos or if your local chainsaw shop is any kind of decent they should gladly show you how to sharpen your chain when you buy the file from them.
I hate when that happens.

JB, I am always worried when someone learns to use a chainsaw as you are. Experience need not be gained at the expense of your appendages. Learn from someone that can teach you how to do things properly. Take a chainsaw course.

The are tons of ways you can hurt/kill yourself. Learn the basics before we hear about something dreadful. I learned your way and have the scars to prove it...

Steve

Steve has a very good point. Not that anybody can't make mistakes but beginners are much more likely to get hurt. Some chaps would also be a good investment. I like Labonville full wraps personally but any decent ones will do a lot better than not having any if you have an accident. A hard hat would be another relatively cheap and good investment especially if you dropping dead trees as they like to loose branches while your cutting them sometimes. I have been hit on top of my hard had enough times to know I don't want to do any felling without one. They have kept me from having a couple of trips to the ER.

Chaps are a very good investment, a chainsaw doesn't know the difference between a leg and a log.

Thanks. I'm going to spend ( youtube) some time over the next few days to get smarter at chain sharpening.

Most saw shops will sharpen chains for $5-10 ea. This might get you going until you can hone your sharpening skills.

Thank you. Will look around. Never thought to ask about that. Would be good intel to have ..just in case. There's an Ace Hardware a mile down the road.

Post a close up side on picture of some of your chain cutters and we'll diagnose the problem for you.

Thank you. Will do that tomorrow, if I get home from work before it gets dark, or Wednesday @ latest.

Lots of videos on youtube showing techniques. Just keep in mind you should be able to easily draw blood when the chain is sharp.

JB, I am always worried when someone learns to use a chainsaw as you are. Experience need not be gained at the expense of your appendages. Learn from someone that can teach you how to do things properly. Take a chainsaw course.

The are tons of ways you can hurt/kill yourself. Learn the basics before we hear about something dreadful. I learned your way and have the scars to prove it...

Steve

You're right. And you're the second person to tell me that. A sign!

It is one of the smaller chainsaws.

I just don't know many people around here that are the 'teach-able' types.

Steve has a very good point. Not that anybody can't make mistakes but beginners are much more likely to get hurt. Some chaps would also be a good investment. I like Labonville full wraps personally but any decent ones will do a lot better than not having any if you have an accident. A hard hat would be another relatively cheap and good investment especially if you dropping dead trees as they like to loose branches while your cutting them sometimes. I have been hit on top of my hard had enough times to know I don't want to do any felling without one. They have kept me from having a couple of trips to the ER.

I was actually looking on sportsmanguide.com for chaps. In the market for them.

Back