Carry a spare chain and change it when cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may carry a spare chain for something catastrophic but normally its a stump vise and Husky Roller. I can do a 24" bar in around 5 minutes.

I am for the most part just touching up, 3 swipes on each tooth. As soon as I see the chips getting pretty small, I touch up.

I called my logger buddy and asked him how many sharp, spare chains he carries to the job site in his truck when dropping big trees with his MS 660. Andy said, "Usually five or more. You would not believe what I run into when cutting 36" dia. cottonwood."

Andy is right handed and file sharpens his chains with the bar attached to the saw and resting over his left shoulder.

I called my logger buddy and asked him how many sharp, spare chains he carries to the job site in his truck when dropping big trees with his MS 660. Andy said, "Usually five or more. You would not believe what I run into when cutting 36" dia. cottonwood."

Andy is right handed and file sharpens his chains with the bar attached to the saw and resting over his left shoulder.
I have a good friend who worked as a strip sawyer when we had such things, he filled his saw that way either square or round filing looks weird but sure worked for him.

I may carry a spare chain for something catastrophic but normally its a stump vise and Husky Roller. I can do a 24" bar in around 5 minutes.

I am for the most part just touching up, 3 swipes on each tooth. As soon as I see the chips getting pretty small, I touch up.
Exactly, I keep just touching the chain up till it wore out, hit the rakers occasionally couple passes will do it. I take more saws then I do chain, never know when you may need another saw. :laughing: I put the chain on my saw once and it stays till its worn out.

Back