Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i thought i had CAD when i joined here but realized after seeing others with the disease that there is no way i can have that. i sell everything i don't need and keep what i use. i got 7 saws that i use fairly regularly although some more then others for sure. in total i got 8 saws here right now and the 8th i haven't been using is in the trader. i have pretty well cleaned up on my parts saws and just kept some odds and ends i figure will be useful one day. all i got is one rubbermaid tote of parts left. used to have over 10 LOL. i think i do have GAD though- gun aquisition disorder.

I was just fine... just fine I tell ya'...
But between Homelite410, Hedgerow, and watchin' at my first GTG... I'm startin' to show some symptoms.
Now, a fella' would think gettin' a new saw (even an el-cheap-o pole saw) would alleviate those symptoms somewhat... but that don't seem to be the way it works.
I didn't understand CAD before... it didn't make sense to me.
Now I understand the relentlessness... I've been educated... CAD is an insidious disease that can't be treated, the best ya' can hope for is to learn to live with it :D
Someone really needs to explain all this to my wife... I now brake (hard) for yard sales if I see any OPE of any sort sittin' there.

They are tools w/ a purpose. I figure I only need what I can find a purpose for... I have 4, plus a pole saw, plus my fs250 trimmer w/ a blade, so 4 & 3/4 maybe.

Funny, my first was a 038, then a ms361 (wanted something lighter just as strong). Then started wanting somethgin bigger. Debated between a ms460 & ms660 figured for the 2 extra pounds no point in getting the 460. So I bought the 660. Started wanting something lighter than the 660, but more than the 361 (funny huh?) Read about the mtronic, and antivibe of the 441 (only mtronic at the time). Sold the 361 got a 441cm. Low and behold I needed er wanted, something lighter so the ms261 joined the harem. Somewhere among all this I needed a small compact little saw I could strap on the ATV for light trail clearing when out trail riding. Ran into to many trails we had to 3-point turn and back track to get around a downed tree, so I through a 192t in the mix.

The pole saw well it is what it is, clears the overhanging branches at the farm so the RV can make it to camp.

SO do I have CAD?

dw

SO do I have CAD?
YES‼
And this statement proves it...
I figure I only need what I can find a purpose for...
See??
You didn't say, "I only need what I have a purpose for..."
You said, "I only need what I can find a purpose for..."

You're in denial man... denial‼
It's OK though, I now understand we've all been there :laughing:

7 seems to be kind of a sweet spot for us cad sufferers. The guilt is kept at bay but we can't get to any lower than that. I'm at seven. I had to give away some to get there though.
Darn!
I thought I was good. I just went and counted. 7 runners, a pole saw, 2 to be fixed, and 3 that aren't mine. Guess I've got it bad!
And just think, 2 years ago I had 2.... Then I needed to fix one and found this friggen site...

A buddy called me yesterday and said, "want a 262XP, it runs, passed vac test but probably needs a ring for $150".

I replied, "absolutely".

Is that CAD buying one sight unseen?

FWIW I am really starting to like the 2XX & Pre X Torq 3XX series and really starting to dislike the auto tunes.

CAD is often a "pre-existing" condition, but many people don't realize that they have if until they start buying saws. I have a bad memory, for example, but even when I was a kid, I noticed what kinds of chainsaws the old neighbors had then and I still remember these today, and I'm 53. When I was 10, I wanted a chainsaw for Christmas, and got a brand new Poulan XXV. It's kina like having the mumps when you were a kid, and then later in life you get the Shingles, because it has been dormant for years, but finally comes out. I'd rather have saws than shingles, though. :)

CAD is often a "pre-existing" condition, but many people don't realize that they have if until they start buying saws. I have a bad memory, for example, but even when I was a kid, I noticed what kinds of chainsaws the old neighbors had then and I still remember these today, and I'm 53. When I was 10, I wanted a chainsaw for Christmas, and got a brand new Poulan XXV. It's kina like having the mumps when you were a kid, and then later in life you get the Shingles, because it has been dormant for years, but finally comes out. I'd rather have saws than shingles, though. :)
Poulan XXV was a good first saw. That's what I started with in 1978. I wound up with three of them, and foolishly let them go a few years ago.

Back