Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with 7 as kind of a sweet spot. I have 7 runners and one I'd like to get around to fixing. Probably just a carb cleaning. I think it's almost practical to have an extra saw for whatever job is at hand weather it's limbing, bucking, or big stuff, so you can always finish the job. Even if I might be on the edge of CAD, there are a lot worse hobbies to partake in. Chainsaws are easy to store, move around and work on, and cheaper than a lot of other hobbies, unless you're paying retail prices. I'm at a point where it has to be a heck of a deal for me to make any further additions. I have almost no interest in the common box store saws, but I'm constantly checking Craigslist and the local pawn shop for something that jumps out at me.

For me it's not really about how many I have but more specifically about the persistent obsession to find more.
Even if I kept none, immediately sold every saw I acquired, it would still be CAD.
When can I stop looking, even if I still have 200 saws, then I'll consider myself in remission there.
I managed to get it under control with guns, motorcycles and guitars, so I know it's possible with saws.

But then there's CAD's partner in crime CHD, (chainsaw hoarding disorder) and the lame excuses I concoct
to justify keeping all of them, that's a whole 'nother can 'o worms, lol.

And it goes on still with the common but yet to be named obsession to make even the sorry-est carcass whole again.

So I guess if I could at least sell a few and stop buying, that would be a start on the true road to recovery...

I suffer also with Bibliomania, an affliction that causes one to collect books. I'm just glad I don't have GAD- Guitar Acquisition Disorder.

I had that, I stopped it at "I don't remember how many" ... at least there's the craftsmanship factor to justify the cost.
Used to play gigs. Stopped but can't let go of the guitars, though there's some I'd sell to get a more practical upgrade in terms of playability versus vintage .

i thought i had CAD when i joined here but realized after seeing others with the disease that there is no way i can have that. i sell everything i don't need and keep what i use. i got 7 saws that i use fairly regularly although some more then others for sure. in total i got 8 saws here right now and the 8th i haven't been using is in the trader. i have pretty well cleaned up on my parts saws and just kept some odds and ends i figure will be useful one day. all i got is one rubbermaid tote of parts left. used to have over 10 LOL. i think i do have GAD though- gun aquisition disorder.

Oh wow. GAD is very expensive. I had BAD (bass guitar acquisition disorder) a few years ago with also BAAD (bass amp acquisition disorder) to make matters worse. That condition will put you in the poor house as bad as guns I think.

Oh wow. GAD is very expensive. I had BAD (bass guitar acquisition disorder) a few years ago with also BAAD (bass amp acquisition disorder) to make matters worse. That condition will put you in the poor house as bad as guns I think.

for me guns are alot worse then saws. with saw i have what i need and any extra's that come along get flipped. saws also make me money so they pay for themselves really. guns are pricey and when i buy one i usually never consider selling it. it really is a bad disorder. i got so many hand guns it's stupid and here in Canada were only allowed to fire them at the range. have to have an authorization the transport just to move them from place to place too. this year so far i think i've only used a few of them to shoot up a couple macs and homelites.

I got 12 runners one or two fixers and a ton of parts

just bought a 064 OEM case because the dealer was gonna send it back and he sold it too me at cost

and I got a 024 026 screw tank handle because it was a deal

is this CAD ? I got it bad I think ?

I found a unused 25 in stihl bar I didn't know I bought !

Mike

That is not BAD , that's CAD!
I'd like a 28 to 36" 3/8" big Husky mount please! ;)

It is unbelievable how difficult it proved to be to get a bar longer than 20" in my area. :confused:
Might try to arrange to get one shipped from Germany to me , no hurry though as I finished cutting big firewood for this Year.

I might carry the CAD virus , but the illness is thus far kept at bay.
I proudly own two runners , my Dolmar's PS-6400 & PS-7900!
I have one damaged Sachs-Dolmar 105 which I truly hope to repair throughout this Year , using parts of two SD105 carcases.
And I still have one dead electric Sachs-Dolmar 285 saw that I just feel sorry to throw away (engine is fine/functional).

So what do you call it when you actually have CAD under control (I actually sold eight saws in the last 21 months) and people start giving you saws? Got two for my birthday, and two from friends for doing them favors. Can CAD become malignant? 37 at last count and all but two run. One of the two is in pieces waiting for a resto.

btw, I also have GAD. Currently have 11 guitars, one bass, and one banjo. Sold 7 in the past year and bought 4 more.

I had that, I stopped it at "I don't remember how many" ... at least there's the craftsmanship factor to justify the cost.
Used to play gigs. Stopped but can't let go of the guitars, though there's some I'd sell to get a more practical upgrade in terms of playability versus vintage .
That's what I did - sold a vintage Fender and two vintage Gibsons to buy some nice Taylor acoustics and a Gibson Country Gentleman with wider necks so my old fat fingers will fit.

i suffer from OAD i like to gather bar and chain oil along with 2 stroke oil.
sometimes it gets out of hand im down to my last 20 gallons of each.

Hmm...some of you make me feel not so bad about myself. I seek knowledge--knowledge of chainsaws and how to make them run well--which comes from experience--so I gotta get some that don't run and find out why and what to do to make them run. Right now I have 4 Stihls, two Poulans, a McCulloch, a small Homelite, and an Echo that run; two for parts and one that needs a coil, and one in a buddy's hands that he said he'd give me.

But what's not to love about a chainsaw?

It's the manliest thing there is. It's so manly, some even have gun sights on them!
They're endlessly customizable. Pretty, hot rod, beef it up, you name it.
They smell the sweetest smell there is--horsepower.
They're small--easier to pull the head on a saw than a Chevy 454. And the tools are cheaper too.
You can hide extras behind the seat in the pickup.
They make firewood to keep you warm or cook your food.
You can brag about how much you know about chainsaws.

OMG--I'm sick, aren't I?

Back