Chainsaw quit on me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Timm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My Dolmar 5100 just died on me the other day. I was cutting with it when it started idling VERY high, like it was running out of gas, but it wasn't? I put gas in it and it won't even fire? I took the fuel filter off and took a air compressor to it and blew it clean. What should I look for to figure out this issue?

Real bad sign, sounds like an air leak. How long did you run it once the symptoms presented?

Does it have compression now?

Real bad sign, sounds like an air leak. How long did you run it once the symptoms presented?

Does it have compression now?
I only ran it a minute if that. If I put gas in the carb it will fire.

Where is this pulse line? I was in the process of taking off the carb, but I am nervous about getting it put back together with all the little parts and never having tore into a chainsaw carb before....let alone a Dolmar?

I only ran it a minute if that. If I put gas in the carb it will fire.

Do not try and run it! You need to find the source of the air leak.

Replacing the fuel and impulse lines aren't hard. Go to you tube and find a video on your model.

There are no Dolmar youtube videos? Only Stihl impulse line fixes. Maybe I'll just bring it to a dealer.

as said above, prob best to have someone, not necessarily a dealer (unless under warranty), check for air leaks. could be an easy fix for you, or it could be something more involved...

Saw is about 7 years old. Has always ran great and has ran good all winter till yesterday? I only ran it for about a minute when this happened as I thought it was out running out of gas. I need to figure out how to access the impulse line? Where is it? Under the carb or....?

Great pics, I will be looking into this tommorrow, possibly just bringing it in.

Back