Chainsaw quit on me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
two things he should have done and didn't, pulled the muffler and checked for scoring, no sense in going any further if scored without checking with you on what you may be looking at for cost. also not checking for pulse when he had carb off. I assume he didn't or would have mentioned it.
but very very professional on his billing and explanation, makes mine look amateurish.

What's interesting is it says no leaks found? If he leak tested the muffler would have to come off right?
Everything I've read sounds like a leak also.

Yup, actually put fuel in the carb.
If you put fuel in carb and it starts that tells me that you have something wrong with the fuel line, filter, or carburetor. I assume the choke is working correctly and the trigger is connected to the carburetor. If it was my saw I'd disassemble the carb, dip the metal parts in carb cleaner, except the little spring, rinse in hot water and blow it off with compressed air, then put a new kit in it. It might just have a bit of dirt clogging up a fuel passage. We've discussed about every other possibility. Too bad you don't live near a serious AS member..

Yes, that's the consensus. A gas issue, not spark as the first dealer is saying it's the coil?!

The only way it could be the coil is if it shorts out or opens up after a while of running. It might take a while to restart until after it cools off. I'm betting that as long as you put fuel in the carb it will continue to start and run until the small amount of fuel is burned up, about 2 seconds or so. That tells me the carb needs cleaned, kitted and adjusted correctly.

The only way it could be the coil is if it shorts out or opens up after a while of running. It might take a while to restart until after it cools off. I'm betting that as long as you put fuel in the carb it will continue to start and run until the small amount of fuel is burned up, about 2 seconds or so. That tells me the carb needs cleaned, kitted and adjusted correctly.

Update:
The saw problem is the crank seal. Not the coil is all I know as of right now

Sounds like the guys here had it right, air leak. Good chance you scored the cylinder unless you got really lucky.

Mora as in Minnesota?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Mora MN. If the crank seal fixes the saw I'm wondering if I should notify the first dealer as they charged me over $70 for a false diagnosis?

your description on first post should have triggered both places to pull the muffler and check for scoring. should run with just a leaking seal.

John you are right up in the same area as a few good as members, if you need some help with your saw I'm sure one of them would be willing to help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had you gone ahead and had them do the work, my bet is, they would have found several other things "wrong" before they found the crank seal. :(

In the end you could have bought an Stihl 880 and had it gold plated for less.

They will likely just claim it was the coil, and .... also the crank seal. I'd just chock this up as a pricey lesson, and perhaps something to be repeated to family and friends as a caution about the dealer.

Yes Mora MN. If the crank seal fixes the saw I'm wondering if I should notify the first dealer as they charged me over $70 for a false diagnosis?

Having worked on these machines for a few years now I have learned a few tricks to quickly diagnose and eliminate obvious problems. Compression check, removal of muffler to check for piston damage, vacuum pressure checks are sure fire ways to reliably tell the true condition of any 2 stroke engine. Skip any of these steps and your chasing your tail.

Update: I picked up the saw today. Fired right up. $100 repair cost for parts and labor, even sharpened the chain. Was not a coil as expected! Now I am planning on calling the other "mechanic/dealer" to let them know they charged me $75 for a false diagnosis! I will probably get nothing out of them other than my own piece of mind! Glad to have my saw back and running!

Update: I picked up the saw today. Fired right up. $100 repair cost for parts and labor, even sharpened the chain. Was not a coil as expected! Now I am planning on calling the other "mechanic/dealer" to let them know they charged me $75 for a false diagnosis! I will probably get nothing out of them other than my own piece of mind! Glad to have my saw back and running!

Hey John, it's your nephew, Austin. Glad to hear you got her going with no permanent damage.

It was nice to see you guys this week. Good luck with the dealer.

$100, not bad. I feel for you, having to pay $75 for a BS diagnosis, that didn't even make sense. It's like they drew it out of the hat. Electrical, yeah electrical, that's it, nobody understand that magical sheit...

Just got off the phone with the dealer/mechanic that thought it was the coil. I explained what happened and he was decent about the situation. He refunded me half of the original bill of around $70 and apologized for the mistake. He also asked who I brought it to and I told him. Good to get this all done with. Thanks for every ones help!

Latest posts

Back