Chainsaw quit on me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will inspect it again tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions! By

The fact that it won't draw fuel from the carb, but will fire when fuel is put in the spark plug hole directly Into the combustion chamber leads me to think crankshaft seal. Either popped out of the case caused by a bad crank bearing (s) or bearings loose in the case, or a tear from wood debris of the seal. A large leak or popped out crank seal will cause Intake air vacuum to pull from the easiest path from what I've ever witnessed. You just need to find what caused the leak In the seal. A saw with an impulse hose even completely pulled away will usually start, but will idle poorly, bog and die out. Probably the clutch side would be my guess since that side takes the most abuse and shocks.

Does your saw have one of those primer bulbs ? My Echo has a primer and one of the primer hoses came off, sounded like it was running out of gas, after I put the hose back on it ran fine.

Update on the saw. Dealer called and said it's the coil. Looks like this is gonna cost me a little over $200 to get it fixed! Expensive fix, but at least it's not toast!

Claimed he checked the carb and impulse line and everything was fine with them then realized there was very little spark, which I had seen but wasn't sure how much spark to look for on a saw?

This is what I hate about anyone "untrusted" working on anything.....wondering if someone is getting taken advantage of?!

Many years ago my old Husqvarna 61 suddenly quit running , no spark so took it to the dealer I bought it from, ignition system was shot, cost me $150 to have it fixed, I was not happy but I trusted the dealer very well, saw has run great ever since they fixed it .

$120 labor to replace a coil???!!!!

Even if they charge some flat, customary diagnosis fee.... that's still insane...

On any saw I have worked on (admittedly not near as many as some folks here, but a fair amount nonetheless) the coil can be swapped out in about 15 minutes, tops.

I'm guessing they charge $50 to diagnose and are charging an hour labor... Maybe they have a minimum 1 hour labor charge???

I don't like to rag on the small business man too much but still, that's pretty steep to swap a coil....

Yeah, I'm questioning this myself? Being that I've never had to bring in a saw before? The price seems outrageous?! Anyone else have a opinion on this?

You could almost ship the saw to one of us to install the new coil and ship it back to you for the same or less. If in fact it is the coil.... Which doesn't sound like the case to me either. But, my eyes and hands are not on your saw so I have to assume they properly diagnosed it.

I am going to call tomorrow and ask what the labor charges are as well as diagnosis charges?

A monkey could replace the coil. A kid knowing only how to use a wrench and screwdriver can replace a chainsaw coil in 20 minutes.

I don't quite get how a weak spark can cause a saw to run faster then idle with no throttle input. A weak spark the saw at best should barely run.

What you guys are saying makes sense. I am really questioning who I am dealing with at this point. I don't know how difficult it is to put a coil on a Dolmar 5100, or how much time it would take? He's charging me $80 for the coil and $11 shipping, which I am also questioning?

Back