Chainsaw quit on me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes i have had to pay shipping depending on item availability. But the coil only take 10-15 mins to change.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Seems a little steep on the coil price too... Just doing a google search for Dolmar 5100 coil, the very first hit came in at $66 for an OEM coil...

Yeah, I found the coil from $60-100 on the internet. I just got off the phone with another "trusted" dealer/mechanic and he is right on track with everyone elses thinking. I think I'll get my saw back tomorrow and bring it to the mechanic I trust. (he was closed this a.m. till 6:00 p.m. so I couldn't talk to him)

If you take your time you should be able to change a module in about 20 minutes or less. I usually clean everything around the coil and inside the cover so it takes a while longer. The coil (module) should have about .010 gap between it and the flywheel. You can use a regular business card as a gauge.

your first post you said it was idling very high then quit, sounds like it was running lean. look at post #17, you can see that part if you take the top cover off and look down at front of cyl. may have come unhooked. doesn't sound like coil.

Everything I have read indicates an air leak. I have never heard of a weak coil causing a saw to speed up. The only thing that I know that would cause that is when it runs out of gas or has an air leak. My first thing to do would be to check around with local people that use the dealer and ask questions about there service. If I did not get a very good response I would take it to another dealer. I do not know where Mora is, but I but you have shady dealers there just like I have in my area. Tom

I have a feeling I'm gonna get stuck with made up charges when I get my saw back before he gets to "fix" it. He already has my debit card # as he said he needed a deposit and when I asked him how much of a deposit he said the whole amount of $238.00 if I remember correctly. I told him only $100 for a deposit and he agreed to that. I just get that un-trusting feelig through this whole ordeal, and it bothers me in the worst way!

Just got off the phone, he claims that I have to purchase the coil as he ordered it and he cannot return electrical parts once ordered? He said he's gonna try to cancel the order but if he can't I have to pay for the coil!? Also have to pay a $70 diagnosis fee.

I have a feeling I'm gonna get stuck with made up charges when I get my saw back before he gets to "fix" it. He already has my debit card # as he said he needed a deposit and when I asked him how much of a deposit he said the whole amount of $238.00 if I remember correctly. I told him only $100 for a deposit and he agreed to that. I just get that un-trusting feelig through this whole ordeal, and it bothers me in the worst way!
"wow"

Just got the saw back. He successfully canceled the coil order so I had to pay $75 for diagnostics fee, new fuel filter, and new spark plug. I don't think a vac or leak test was performed that I know of as on the receipt all the details are typed out. I guess now I will have to bring it to the other mechanic and see what he comes up with? Wish i had a coil from a 5100 to see if that makes it come to life!? I would think there would be more coils out there from all the burnt up 5100's from early years?

Good going!

IMO, you can't really make a mistake in taking it apart and giving all the parts a good looking over. You will learn a lot, and quite possibly fix it yourself.

I took the recoil off just to see where the coil is and how hard it is to replace, but it looks like the wires are really tucked in there and look difficult to remove? Not sure on this as I just took a quick peek? Anyhow I'm probably better off leaving it alone and just bringing it to the other mechanic tonight other than tearing into it and not getting it back together? It is just driving me crazy not knowing what the issue is and spending this kind of money on a saw that's probably worth around $300?

Short story. Buddy of mine was given a parts saw for free, a thank you for earlier help. The owner was told by the shop the saw was beyond repair. So he bought a new one and gave my friend the hopeless saw. My friend took it apart, saw that it had a cracked/broken ring, replaced the ring, put it back together, and it fired right up.

A lesson learned for several of us.

This is always hillarious reading about a bunch of guys complaining about prices of legit repair shops! You guys must live in some type of communist world if you believe that shop cost for chainsaw repairing is only ~80$!
icon_tra_005.gif

Welcome to the real world!

Apparently there's a slight epidemic of bad rings on the 5100 saws. I've changed two of them, they looked just fine, no scars or anything. The only thing I can figure is they must have not had much tension, like maybe the heat took the spring out of them. New rings made the saws run just fine.

Not sure where Mora is located but I have a 5100 torn down on my bench right now. I won't need the coil for a couple weeks so if you want to test it let me know. I gotta have it back though. Before I'd send it I'd encourage you to pull the muffler and have a look at the rings and piston.

The compression came in at over 150psi according to my receipt. I will be bringing it down to a small engine guy who I trust more at around 6:30. Thanks for the coil offer!

Back