Chainsaw won't idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyyou

Reaction score
Its an older craftsman it's the exact one pictured here model # 358.355060

CRAFTSMAN CHAINSAW FOR PARTS | eBay

I am trying to fix it for a neighbor he brought it to me and said It hasn't ran in years. Not sure exactly how many years. Trying to fix it for as little as possible. So I tore the carb apart and all the gaskets look fine metering diaphragm was still flexible and the other gaskets looked good too. I sprayed it all out will Carb Cleaner twice now. Put it all back and it will not idle for anything. New plug, air filter and fuel lines too. I just sprayed the fuel filter out with carb cleaner, and reused it, cause it looked good and clean. Usually this get's my saws running again, but unfortunately not with this one. The saw will still only run at high speed. So after that I decided to play with to carb. Manual says to screw both L and H screw in gently until seated. Then unscrew 1 full turn. Did that and it will still Only try to run at high speed. I went through and kept turning the L half turn, half turn and so on counter clock wise to try and get it to idle. Also interesting to note, when I let of the gas and it dies the saw won't restart unless you choke it and pull it 3-4 times again. So finally I get to around 8 turns out with the L screw and it will idle, but won't really accelerate. Idles very high though with the chain turning. Just very aggravated and any help would be appreciated.

If you are backed out 8 turns and it is idling high and spinning the chain you probably have an air leak. Might still be a simple fix. Replace the cheap, easy stuff first -- if still isn't running right per the manual than I think it would be time for a vac/pressure test.

Latest posts

Back