CLEANER FOR CHAINSAWS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found it at places like. Tractor supply, farm and fleet, lowes. But have been having to order from amazon lately. The f&f doesn't stock it anymore. They have to special order it now. So I just order it 5 gal at a time.

Steven

Steven,

Thanks for the information. I stopped by the TSC just south of me, and picked up a gallon of the Oil Eater. I'm going to give it a go on some Dolmar parts in the morning.

Great tip on the oil eater. Will pick some up next time I'm at TSC or Lowes if they have some.

I get the PSC-1000 at TSC in 5 gallon pails. This is naptha, aka lighter fluid, "white gas" or mineral spirits. It cuts grease really well in the parts washer. I can't used water-based solvents because the shop may not have heat in the winter.

2/3 ATF 1/3 solvent of your choice. I use acetone, mix gas, mineral spirits, something to thin so you can squeeze out of hand pump can. It works better than PB on seized bolts and pretty good at cleaning. Cheaper than most options in both applications. Also good for auxiliary oiler on Alsk mill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2/3 ATF 1/3 solvent of your choice. I use acetone, mix gas, mineral spirits, something to thin so you can squeeze out of hand pump can. It works better than PB on seized bolts and pretty good at cleaning. Cheaper than most options in both applications. Also good for auxiliary oiler on Alsk mill.

Yes, PB is generally only a "mild" penetrating oil. On a scale of 1-10 I give it a 3 or 4. ATF + acetone makes a very good penetrating oil. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. If I'm out of Kroil (9 out of 10) I use ATF + Acetone myself. Just make sure you only store it in glass or Low density Poly bottles. I believe it can eat through several types of plastic including high density poly.

I use about a half cup of good clean mix and a toothbrush. The mix leaves a thin residue of oil to protect everything you clean from rust and rot, and leaves a shiny new-like finish. It also doesn't eat glove fingers, paint or plastic like most of the cleaners do.

I am wondering what, exactly, "mix" means?

Latest posts

Back