CLEANER FOR CHAINSAWS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not PC, but I use gasoline from time to time. Always outside and in small amounts.

That and a good parts brush works wonders.

I use gas with a good stiff brush as well followed by Gunk engine cleaner. No since trying to make it look new if I'm just going to use it again right away. I just try to keep the bulk grime off and thats it. working saws that get worked everyday only needs the bulk cleaned off. As long as it doens the job cutting wood who cares if it's all shiny and new looking. I'll wire brush the gunk and sap off the chain before sharpening not to make them look good but to keep my file from getting gummed up. If you want a shinny new looking saw, just hang it on the wall and never use it. It doesn't mater how clean you get it, it's still gonna have scratches and dings and dents in the plastic and no cleaner can take that wear off.

I just want my rebuild to look as clean as it can like new. I haven’t figured out yet how to make the dull, brown plastics look good yet?

I’m thinking that a citrus cleaner or simple green is safer for the environment?

I've used Purple Power, and Gunk engine degreaser. Both seemed to work without damaging anything, but the Purple Power says to make sure and rinse it off before it dries.

Many years ago i think my dad tried using Purple Power on his Harley and it ate the powder coating off the engine where it got on it...

Back