Craftsman 2.0 Lightweight Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the fuel line would probably work. however, i purchased that same kit to get a filter and threw the tubing away. unlikely to be suitable with ethanol contaminated fuel. i used tygon. got it at my local stihl dealer. the air filter is for a "wildthing" and would not work on your saw. your saw has no primer bulb so that's unimportant. the fuel filters would likely be fine. that carb would not work. you need a walbro wt-309. a walbro wt-20 might work but i couldn't tell you for sure. you might notice that the carb pictured has two hose barbs. one is probably for the purge bulb. i've never tried to adapt this type of carb for use without a purge bulb. perhaps there is someone on this site who has and could enlighten us. as far as i can tell the throttle and choke linkage are unusable for your saw. if you remove the carburetor cover from your saw you can examine the carbureator and compare it to any being offered on amazon. does that cover it?

Not sure if this is a serious question but there's two answers:

1) My time has value and I assume it'll take at least an hour to rebuild the carb.
2) Anytime you take a little contraption apart and put it back together again there is a non-neglible possibility something could go wrong (thread could strip, somethong could get scratched, a gasket fails to properly mate, a part could be lossed, etc).

Given a choice between a 10 dollar rebuild kit and a 20 dollar new carb, I'll pick the latter every time. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's an option.

Take the carb off, and with a small screwdriver, take both covers off, and take a pic.
We'll talk you through it, won't take much time at all.

You'll have to take the carb off anyway to replace it.

Not sure if this is a serious question but there's two answers:

1) My time has value and I assume it'll take at least an hour to rebuild the carb.
2) Anytime you take a little contraption apart and put it back together again there is a non-neglible possibility something could go wrong (thread could strip, somethong could get scratched, a gasket fails to properly mate, a part could be lossed, etc).

Given a choice between a 10 dollar rebuild kit and a 20 dollar new carb, I'll pick the latter every time. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's an option.

i've rebuilt a lot of carbs and it's always a crapshoot, especially since we started using ethanol. also you frequently run into carbs that have been damaged by someone without the skills and ability to do the job and they're usually a total loss. you're out the cost of a rebuild kit which can be as much as $20 and usually a couple of hours of stressful labor. did you check out the link in the post above?

lets talk about something else. apologies to driver who thinks theses are great saws, but they're not. they're a 40 year old design of mediocre quality. you get them tuned and running great and the next time you pick them up it takes 15 minutes to get them started. realistically, one in good condition is worth less than $100. i wouldn't buy a good one for $20. in addition they are the worst balancing top handle out there and will seriously tire your right wrist if you run on for a prolonged period. we used to use them for climbing until stihl, husky and echo came out with good arborists saws. google "echo 341." they aren't the greatest top handles but you can climb or prune with them all day and they balance well and start first pull. they can be found for a song.

it just happens that i'm working on a poulan 1800 now, same saw as yours. i finally broke down yesterday and rebuilt the carb. everything went well and the saw is running... for now, and the owner already owes me more than the saw is worth.

i've rebuilt a lot of carbs and it's always a crapshoot, especially since we started using ethanol. also you frequently run into carbs that have been damaged by someone without the skills and ability to do the job and they're usually a total loss. you're out the cost of a rebuild kit which can be as much as $20 and usually a couple of hours of stressful labor. did you check out the link in the post above?

lets talk about something else. apologies to driver who thinks theses are great saws, but they're not. they're a 40 year old design of mediocre quality. you get them tuned and running great and the next time you pick them up it takes 15 minutes to get them started. realistically, one in good condition is worth less than $100. i wouldn't buy a good one for $20. in addition they are the worst balancing top handle out there and will seriously tire your right wrist if you run on for a prolonged period. we used to use them for climbing until stihl, husky and echo came out with good arborists saws. google "echo 341." they aren't the greatest top handles but you can climb or prune with them all day and they balance well and start first pull. they can be found for a song.

it just happens that i'm working on a poulan 1800 now, same saw as yours. i finally broke down yesterday and rebuilt the carb. everything went well and the saw is running... for now, and the owner already owes me more than the saw is worth.

I agree with most of the sentiment here. I paid 20 dollars for the saw with a carry case in what I regard as reasonable condition. It started fine. I use the saw very occasionally for fairly light duty use. In fact, if my yard weren't so large, I'd be inclined to go electric. I hate small gas engines particularly 2 strokes. They are just a pain. I always store the saw as dry as I can get it and I hate disassembling the carbs. It's always struck me as a crapshoot.

I'm willing to crack it open and replace the fuel lines and filters for 10 dollars. I'm uneasy about trying to rebuild the carb, although you guys have been incredibly supportive.

I agree with most of the sentiment here. I paid 20 dollars for the saw with a carry case in what I regard as reasonable condition. It started fine. I use the saw very occasionally for fairly light duty use. In fact, if my yard weren't so large, I'd be inclined to go electric. I hate small gas engines particularly 2 strokes. They are just a pain. I always store the saw as dry as I can get it and I hate disassembling the carbs. It's always struck me as a crapshoot.

I'm willing to crack it open and replace the fuel lines and filters for 10 dollars. I'm uneasy about trying to rebuild the carb, although you guys have been incredibly supportive.

there are lithium ion battery powered top handles available now. i think they run around 40 or 50 vdc. you can't get them for $20 but they might be a better fit for you, especially if 2strokes aren't what float your boat. myself, i feel a little cranky until i've got a saw buzzing in my paws.

I'm uneasy about trying to rebuild the carb
Well, saw doesn't work now, so it can't get worse. If you confirm that carb is a Walbro WT-x, get a K10-WAT kit. They can be had for $2-3 on ebay, if you can wait on China shipping.
Check youtube for rebuilding 2 cycle carb.

I was able to get it started. So the other alternative is replace fuel lines and perhaps fuel and air filters, maybe run Seafoam through it and hope for the best. I'll try disassembling it tonight.

Remove the needle/lever/spring, then clean the carb thoroughly with carb spray. Then hold carb body up to a light and visually verify that the passage below the screen is clear.
Re-assemble with a new kit, use the pieces that pertain to your carb.
Re-install with a new fuel line and filter.....

poolan 001.JPG poolan 002.JPG

I was able to get it started. So the other alternative is replace fuel lines and perhaps fuel and air filters, maybe run Seafoam through it and hope for the best. I'll try disassembling it tonight.

here's a place to loo for air leaks in the fuel line, where the two lines, upper and lower, are joined by a double barb fitting. also make sure the line is routed thru the space provide, the circular cut out on the left, and is not being pinched. if you smell or see fuel, you'll know you have a bad fuel line.

upload_2016-7-28_14-29-6.png

the K10-WAT rebuild kit contains a needle valve, gaskets, diaphragm, filter screen (below the needle valve) and valve plate. you can start by just replacing diaphragm and gasket (on on the side of the carb with four screws holding the cover) and the one-way valve plate and gasket under the cover that is held down by one screw thru the center. that's where the filter screen is too. replacing the needle valve and lever is the hardest part of a carb rebuild but isn't always necessary. inspect the needle valve and lever. when you press ever so lightly on the lever you should see the needle valve come up about a half a mm. be sure that the valve lever is even with the carb casting where the diaphragm contacts it. inspect the filter screen from the other side of the carburetor after you have removed the one-way valve plate. it should be free from debris or schmutz. there is a replacement filter in the kit. there will be a bunch of gaskets, valves and welch plugs in the kit. most of them are not for your carb. match the ones you use to the old ones.

you'll be working on the weak point of this antique saw, the fuel pump. the carburetor is a long distance from the fuel tank, horizontally but especially vertically and the pump needs to be in very good condition for everything to function. if you see bubbles or voids filled with air in the line, you have one or more leaks. the leaks can be in the fuel line or in the one-way valves in the carb.

here's another picture. print it out if you can and use it as a reference when you're working. note that on the top of the carb the order is: top plate, then gasket, then the one-way valve plate then the carb. on the bottom, from bottom up is the bottom plate, then the diaphragm, the gasket, then the carb. don't screw this up. be sure that the one-way valve plate is aligned perfectly. there are two little locating pins but things can slip and slide while you're assembling. the little "black blob" shown between the one-way valve and the carb is the filter screen. it fits into a cylindrical space below the one-way valve.

work in a clean well lighted place and use a pair of reading glasses that are too strong for you.

iplimage.php

i've rebuilt a lot of carbs and it's always a crapshoot, especially since we started using ethanol. also you frequently run into carbs that have been damaged by someone without the skills and ability to do the job and they're usually a total loss. you're out the cost of a rebuild kit which can be as much as $20 and usually a couple of hours of stressful labor.

Agree with this. With so many AM carbs available, much rather just use one and adapt it. Sometimes, there just isn't a close enough AM match and you gotta rebuild or find good used carb or NOS carb.

Wow!! 2 years just flys by!!!

I just liked the advice you gave step by step..... i was looking something up saw the thread was bored read it and went wow he showed him exactly what to do ....figured i would like it as it pulls it up for good information ... kinda like some of the how to threads on s25da fuel lines and how to route them that got lost when the site was hacked.....

Back