Dealer says Husqvarna 550xp and 545 are junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local husqvarna dealer told me the same thing. I took my business elsewhere.
However I am now managing the local husqvarna dealership. The 545 and 550 have had a lot of updates and they just keep getting better.

My Belleville ,Ontario Stihl--Husqvarna dealer was the same even Before auto tune saws. After going elsewhere for 576xpg I stopped , told him I wanted 50cc heated handle price for both and he refused to even quote 346xpg[emoji35] . Azzhole for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try MacIntosh in Stirling. Much better service. I get a queasy feeling every time I stop by "your dealer". Not sure what it is, but something doesn't sit right with me. I've given them more than one try, but ultimately I always walk out.

Try MacIntosh in Stirling. Much better service. I get a queasy feeling every time I stop by "your dealer". Not sure what it is, but something doesn't sit right with me. I've given them more than one try, but ultimately I always walk out.

Always deal in Stirling, now third generation to deal with them as I live there. I only went to Belleville to see what Stihl had to over but I can't deal with those guys at all [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all shook up and need some help. I went to my local dealer this week with intent ( boss lady was on board) to buy a 550xp or 545 with auto tune. I want a nice pro grade 50cc class light weight saw. Didn't see any on the shelf so asked if they could order one in. They said they'd had nothing but problems with the husky auto tunes and told me all kinds of horror stories. I've read a bunch of good reviews online so I was a bit surprised. This is the closest dealer to me and they sell mostly Stihls but carry Husky, and Echo. I generally like dealing with them. He showed me the ms261 c-m and said they'd had much better luck with that saw, it felt OK but I know nothing about it. I'm mostly a Husky/ Jonsered fan and don't know what route to take. I like the idea of the auto tune or M-Tronic because I cut at a bunch of different altitudes and it could simplify life theoretically. But if the electronic widgetry is more of a hassle and needs the dealer to fix all the time then I don't want the hassle. I really wish they still made the 346xp new. I've been looking at finding a used one but a nice 346xp ne is usually pushing $400 plus which is awfully close to a new 545.

I'm out in Colorado live on the front range but usually cut on a few properties from 9-10k feet but it would be nice to have one saw I didn't need to tune when using it down at 5000' or when I'm at out in MN. I've got a couple 70cc class saws and a Jonsered 2245 that I've been quite impressed with for a little 45cc limbing saw. When we are up cutting I generally take 4 saws with because time is critical and I can't be messing around going down into town to get parts or repairs, 2 hours plus each way.

Sorry for the long rambling post. Just looking for some advice input on what would be best so out of these what would you pick ?

New Husqvarna 550xp, 545 auto tune
Stihl 261 c-m
Nice used 346xp
Husqvarna 450 or 445 non "pro" (I have a Jred 2245 that I'm happy with)
Any other ideas?

Stihl MS261 M-Tronic (new model is very close to 550XP in wt. & performance) or VERY LIGHTLY used 346XP or MS261 (original, non-M-Tronic carb).

Earlier this year the 550xp was having "issues". This was not hearsay, it was a legitimate problem, supposedly with the carb. As stated, there have been a series of updates, and lots of new 550s were brought back in needed fixing. I would not say the dealer is right or wrong here, just that his concerns do have a certain bit of foundation.

Change dealers if you want, but first read about the issue here: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/550xp-updates.295332/

Earlier this year the 550xp was having "issues". This was not hearsay, it was a legitimate problem, supposedly with the carb. As stated, there have been a series of updates, and lots of new 550s were brought back in needed fixing. I would not say the dealer is right or wrong here, just that his concerns do have a certain bit of foundation.

Change dealers if you want, but first read about the issue here: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/550xp-updates.295332/
Hesitation and throttle response off idle?

Interesting read thx

I personally would stay away from the newer Husqvarna saws. Yes they're getting better, but that alone says it all IMHO. I'm not saying these saws are junk or anything like that, but with other options available, why take the risk of getting a dud? I won't comment on the dealer, they often make goofy claims, that's nothing new. If you like the 261 grab it and don't look back, I own a 550 and 261, I feel the Stihl is a better built higher quality product.

I don't understand why so many are bashing the dealer. If his experience with husqvarna AT saws are like that that should be respected. Just an estimation, if he had bad luck and every fith saw was a dud, that would be 20% dropout! And if he has any discussion with husqvarna about guarrenty, I would completly understand that he is obviously disappointed! Just imagine any other small store having 20% returns on a product, that product would be sacked the next day!
I see it more impressive that he still is selling husqvarna although he has had problems!

So, what was the outcome of 550s stumbling off idle? I never heard if the cause was determined and if there ever was a fix. I experienced it with several of them.

The 562 seems to be a great saw...unless you work in a hot environment...upper 80s and above. They have a know propensity to vapor locking. The other issues seem to have been ironed out.

550XP is a good saw. I'm in Black Forest at 7610ft and it runs, no issues. I have had issues with the saw, however the complications were the dealer, and their lack of knowledge rather than the saw. I now use craigs outdoor power and they are well aware of any issues with any saw they sell. With my 550 both times have been the xfer port gasket. First saw ate itself with less than 20hrs on it; replaced under warranty after a long debate with husky and the dealer (not craigs). Second one the seal was torn, found by craigs when a knowledgeable tech did an actual diagnosis and found the leak. My experience is that when unknowledgeable folks see an AT saw not working they automatically blame the AT and stop doing diagnosis to actually find the problem. Both my saws were pre 2015 and supposedly Husky redesigned the port cover and gasket to prevent the issues I was having. Its the same thing that happened in the car world when everything started to move to electronic fuel injection. Techs simply had no clue if didn't have a carb and centrifugal distributor.

So, what was the outcome of 550s stumbling off idle? I never heard if the cause was determined and if there ever was a fix. I experienced it with several of them.

The 562 seems to be a great saw...unless you work in a hot environment...upper 80s and above. They have a know propensity to vapor locking. The other issues seem to have been ironed out.

I haven't followed up on it. If I am in there anytime soon, I'll make it a point to ask. This is the same dealer who stood on his head for me when I had 562 problems. My best guess, without talking to him directly, is that he got the customer a new replacement.

IDK if my 562 works well in 90deg. weather or not. I don't!! I fade out like a dried up worm. It does perform very well in the cold including temps in the single digits.

I don't understand why so many are bashing the dealer. If his experience with husqvarna AT saws are like that that should be respected. Just an estimation, if he had bad luck and every fith saw was a dud, that would be 20% dropout! And if he has any discussion with husqvarna about guarrenty, I would completly understand that he is obviously disappointed! Just imagine any other small store having 20% returns on a product, that product would be sacked the next day!
I see it more impressive that he still is selling husqvarna although he has had problems!

if the dealer dont like those Huskies he dont need to sell them, Stihl has more then enough models to cover whatever a customer need, his claim is just ridicilous.
I got one Husky dealer where I purchase projects from, their sale rate is kinda 50+ 550's a year, if 20% of their sale got toasted I would be a lucky Norwegian, 2 project a year is what I get from them, so there you got the rate in Norway.
AT/mtronic or non AT/mtronic, there is +/- with them, some like them some hate them, for one customer who isnt great to tune a saw electronic carb is a good thing.

This is a great read, the one thing is that you folks might know is, how is the OP to know he is getting the 550xp with said updates that cured or helped to prevent the issues they were having in the early stages? What is the build date or so forth he should look for, that way he don't get handed a NOS from the back.

This is a great read, the one thing is that you folks might know is, how is the OP to know he is getting the 550xp with said updates that cured or helped to prevent the issues they were having in the early stages? What is the build date or so forth he should look for, that way he don't get handed a NOS from the back.
buy one who where factory build in 16, they update top cover& c&p, crank bearings in autumn 15, AT-12 carb spring 16.

Latest posts

Back