dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got six of em coming in on Monday according to the tracking information, I need to mention to the Mrs. that were giving a few as Gifts for Christmas but I feel your pain. I'll be long gone before I'll ever need to buy another 45cc saw again.
That's awfully nice of you. The lady friend doesn't get why I have multiples of things, fishing rods, chainsaws, boats, vehicles, you name it. Her dad is not a hands on guy at all, he watched me replace a door knob the other day because he had never done it before :laugh:

I liked the saw so much I am going to buy another for our cabin and keep the 3400 countervibe from there. My old man may be upset but then again he neglected the saw and does not deserve it. A fine earthquake will do for our needs up there.

Welp mines been used a little bit. The bar still has paint on the rails. Fired right up on the second pull. Pulling the muffler now.

I've got six of em coming in on Monday according to the tracking information, I need to mention to the Mrs. that were giving a few as Gifts for Christmas but I feel your pain. I'll be long gone before I'll ever need to buy another 45cc saw again.

I am a recipient of the generosity of folks like you, and he'll yes, it does make a bid difference just knowing people care.
Thank you so much for the initiative and the give a damn.

Kudos, and we appreciate you dearly.

piston looks good as far as i can see through the ports, I dont think you have to worry about getting one of these 4518's with a lean scored piston. This thing must be way fat or they mixed it 10:1, the plug is oil soaked and the muff is drenched in oil.

Edit- i finally got the needles slotted, the high was 4-1/2 turns out. the low was a more respectable 2-1/4 lol.

Last edited:
Just installed my "good chain" on my Quaker, I was just taking the saw in, lol, little breaks like these are a big deal to single income households like mine, I think I will get a second. Doubtful another bargain even close to this will come along any time soon.

Well when you get a few minutes and see how that 45cc unit is put together I think you'll want a spare for the shelf. I figure
piston looks good as far as i can see through the ports, I dont think you have to worry about getting one of these 4518's with a lean scored piston. This thing must be way fat or they mixed it 10:1, the plug is oil soaked and the muff is drenched in oil.

Edit- i finally got the needles slotted, the high was 4-1/2 turns out. the low was a more respectable 2-1/4 lol.
I haven't had a chance to tune mine yet but I believe it's set just as rich, did you remove the carb to slot the screws and where did you end up with them?

Well when you get a few minutes and see how that 45cc unit is put together I think you'll want a spare for the shelf. I figure

I haven't had a chance to tune mine yet but I believe it's set just as rich, did you remove the carb to slot the screws and where did you end up with them?

Yeah I removed the carb and cut off the sholder that surrounds the screws then slotted them, Its not too bad to work on. i havent got into any wood yet to see where its at plus Ive got a weird random lean idle issue going on, gets worse when i tip the bar down. Should the primer bulb be totally full? mines about 2/3rds full. the primer on my echo whip is totally full when i run it. is it possible to ditch the primer all together?

I think I'd start with pulling the lines off the primer bulb if possible and connecting them with a nipple and see if that lean condition is still there. Does it only do it with the bar pointing down, how about on it's side etc? The bulb on mine is not completely full, about 2/3's is just where it looks to be.

I wouldn't hesitate to pressure and vac check it, sure sounds like an air leak somewhere.

I think I'd start with pulling the lines off the primer bulb if possible and connecting them with a nipple and see if that lean condition is still there. Does it only do it with the bar pointing down, how about on it's side etc? The bulb on mine is not completely full, about 2/3's is just where it looks to be.

I wouldn't hesitate to pressure and vac check it, sure sounds like an air leak somewhere.
so connect the tank line to the carb line that goes to the primer? does the carb need fuel from the primer to run? or can the nipple on the carb be capped? no it was doing it when i was holding it level too but gets worse when pointed the bar down when i was rolling it around. it doesnt come out of it when i get into the throttle so im kind of thinking its a pickup issue. I dont have a pressure/vac tester, i'll see if i can borrow one if it comes to that.

I just went out and looked at that primer bulb, it has a short black fuel line with a grommet on the tank side that leads to the incoming prime nipple, and a clear fuel line on the output running to the carb. So long as the carb has a prime just connecting those two lines together bypassing the bulb and running it should be good to go with a double barb nipple to test it.

I'm gonna set my spare ones up when they come and get the mods and tuning done with a little cutting on a can of true fuel mix and run that through the saws to chase any e-gas mix that remains out of the fuel systems to lay them up empty for storage.

if the bulb has it's own seperate fitting on the carb it is a purge bulb. you have to block off the fitting at the carb and block off the hose coming from the fuel tank to the bulb. just putting a barbed fitting in between the lines will make it a pig to start if you could even get it started in the first place. if the bulb is an inline bulb it is a primer and can be bypassed by simply connecting the hoses with a barbed fitting. this will also make it harder to start.

Got mine put together, took some pics but too lazy to post now - deer season opens in a bit under 5 hours. Everything was there, despite a slash in the box from the spikes on the saw. Chain that came with was trashed, and definitely was not run on this saw. I'm betting when they sell these out the back door, they just grab a chain out of a bin and toss it in. Theres NO sign the powerhead has been near wood, other than having some bar oil still in it.

Labels came up the worse for wear in several spots from the packaging, but no biggie. Sometime in the next week, I'll tinker and get some videos, thinking stock as received (just for a baseline), then chain upgrade (Ore VXL), then carb properly tuned, then MM and retuned. Should be interesting to see the progression through each improvement. Once I'm there, I'll probably have to do a shootout against my strong running MM'd Dolmar 420.

Haven't comp tested it yet, but feels strong pulling on the handle.

Nite, 'Quakers.

if the bulb has it's own seperate fitting on the carb it is a purge bulb. you have to block off the fitting at the carb and block off the hose coming from the fuel tank to the bulb. just putting a barbed fitting in between the lines will make it a pig to start if you could even get it started in the first place. if the bulb is an inline bulb it is a primer and can be bypassed by simply connecting the hoses with a barbed fitting. this will also make it harder to start.
this is a purge primer then I believe.

Got mine put together, took some pics but too lazy to post now - deer season opens in a bit under 5 hours. Everything was there, despite a slash in the box from the spikes on the saw. Chain that came with was trashed, and definitely was not run on this saw. I'm betting when they sell these out the back door, they just grab a chain out of a bin and toss it in. Theres NO sign the powerhead has been near wood, other than having some bar oil still in it.

Labels came up the worse for wear in several spots from the packaging, but no biggie. Sometime in the next week, I'll tinker and get some videos, thinking stock as received (just for a baseline), then chain upgrade (Ore VXL), then carb properly tuned, then MM and retuned. Should be interesting to see the progression through each improvement. Once I'm there, I'll probably have to do a shootout against my strong running MM'd Dolmar 420.

Haven't comp tested it yet, but feels strong pulling on the handle.

Nite, 'Quakers.
My chain looks like new but my file was Broken in half :( Im contemplating buying a 16" bar for it once the chain is shot, its quite soft.

My Bubba 5 minute muff job, laugh, but it works fantastic.... Seems to be perfect amount of "opening up" that the saw required because she sure does run now.

Darned thread, ordering #2 this weekend

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 60

Latest posts

Back