dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - I cheated and put the muffler in a vertical mill and milled off the bend where it was crimped. This seems to work VERY well. I'm going to TIG it back together and grind everything smooth when it's done. Now to strip out all the extra junk inside and put a new pipe on it.

I want one of them big Solo powered Strikemasters, but I doubt it'll make it to the top of my want list this year, unless my old Eskimo pukes dead this winter. I'm not a member of the swiss cheese school of fishing, I might drill 10 holes a day.

Yeah, I had to pay WI sales tax on mine. Shoulda just had you order two. Mine shows shipped already, but Fredex tracking number isn't valid yet. Guess I'll see it Saturday, maybe tomorrow, but not betting on that.
Nothing wrong with the older Tecumseh eskimos or the jiffys, they all do the same thing... drill a hole. Some just do it faster then others. I had a Tecumseh strikemaster before my solo, I loved that auger always started and cut just as fast as my solo but the damn gas cap ALWAYS leaked. the back of my truck smelled like gas all winter. I sold that auger for $75 more then I paid for it and got a awesome deal on my solo and haven't looked back. They run so much nicer, not cold blooded one bit crisp throttle response and they sound better, Runs like a nice pro saw. Im a believer of runnin n gunnin for fish, ive been known to drill 50 holes in a day chasing crappies, my dad always makes fun of me :laugh:

Which one did you order? well if things get out of hand and you want to buy another one let me know. I'll probably want another one by then too :laugh::chainsaw:

Do any of your guys have some videos up after the mods you do, dang it Im about to buy one lol.
+

I made a lot of fun of this thread until I picked up a 4518. All I did was gut the muffler, drill the filter cover and adjust the carb. Been cutting quite a bit with it. Funnest thing is if you drop it, no big deal. Scratch it, who cares. When I take a break with what I consider my good saws I gently place them down, check the chain etc. The 4518 gets thrown down in the pile of saw dust while I take a break. Come back, fire it up and start ripping lol.
Funnest 55 bucks Ive spent in a long time.

Lark-o, I went straight for the 45 as well. No replacement for displacement.

Know what you mean on the Eskimo gas caps. Wish there was something better for em, but I just make sure to point the cap up when I put it in the truck.

Mostly I tipup fish for northerns, bass and eyes. Once I've got my spot located, it's just a couple holes whenever I go out. Aughta be making some ice this weekend, already heard of one guy going through up north somewhere.

Lark-o, I went straight for the 45 as well. No replacement for displacement.

Know what you mean on the Eskimo gas caps. Wish there was something better for em, but I just make sure to point the cap up when I put it in the truck.

Mostly I tipup fish for northerns, bass and eyes. Once I've got my spot located, it's just a couple holes whenever I go out. Aughta be making some ice this weekend, already heard of one guy going through up north somewhere.
Good, me too. This might be my first saw porting experiment this winter, Then we could use yours for a comparison. I do a lot beer drink.... I mean "tip up" fishing too. We'll have to get together this winter and do some fishin.

It's probably somewhere in this thread, but I don't remember seeing it. I know the 38cc is a copy of Redmax, is the 45cc a copy of Redmax or something esle? Parts for the 38cc I can get ok, but the sprocket is crazy expensive and no rim available.
more then $50?

Thanks for the pics of the muffler. What type of torch did you use? Propane? Butane? Oxy/acetylene? - want to make sure I have enough heat to get the job done....

I used an oxy/acetylene torch to open it up. I don't have access to a tig welder, so I cut a piece of steel screening, and brazed everything back together. I think it turn out well, I should have taken the picture before the coat of glossy paint though.
2013-11-21 18.23.02.jpg

You should be, I mean where else can you buy a bar and chain and get a new saw for free?
Valid point. I mentioned this purchase to the lady friend and she looked at me said do you really need another saw, you already have 4? And I said, well.... Yeah... She just rolled her eyes.

I've got six of em coming in on Monday according to the tracking information, I need to mention to the Mrs. that were giving a few as Gifts for Christmas but I feel your pain. I'll be long gone before I'll ever need to buy another 45cc saw again.

Met the white van at the end of my driveway leaving for work.

Didnt get time to open, but loose parts rattling in the box...

Latest posts

Back