Dying chainsaw plastic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idiotwithasaw

another row to hoe
Reaction score
Here is my attempt at dying a plastic chainsaw. I started with a husqvarna 350 in decent cosmetic shape and plenty of gloss left on it.
I completely disassembled it and degreased all the plastic parts I was going to dye. There are various methods. I blew the the majority off with air and soaked them in buckets of warm soapy water. I was trying to keep the shine as best I could.

I tried multiple ways of dying doing some trial Amd error and the best method I found was this:

I took a 22qt stock pot filled it up to a few inches from the top then put in two bottles of RIT dye. And I put it on top of my wood stove in the shop and got it to almost boiling.
I then put my parts in and let them cook. I left each peice in for about 45 minutes. Having to flip the crankcase and handle and letting them cook for an additional 45 minutes or so because they were too big for the pot.

Your results may vary, basically leave it in till you have the desired color.

Looks interesting. I never thought that plastic would accept RIT dye. There appears to be a host of colors available. Most of the time sun bleaching is likely what fades it out. The saws that I keep in a case or in the garage have held their colors through the years. Several of my friends store saws outside in the truck and they fade out, probably from sunlight. If this dye would restore the original or at least come close, I may have to try it.

I don't think it stained the pot. But I got it just for this so no biggie.
It may restore some color but the gloss won't be there, I tested it on a faded top cover and it took the color but it was more flat black than glossy. I also did a scratch test on it and the dye penetration is pretty deep. At least .050 deep. I bet if I had let it cook longer it would have went all the way through.

And I'm not sure on what dyes are available or which will work, this is my first attempt. As far as how long it will last I don't know, but hey now I know how to fix it if it fades.

Here is my attempt at dying a plastic chainsaw. I started with a husqvarna 350 in decent cosmetic shape and plenty of gloss left on it.
I completely disassembled it and degreased all the plastic parts I was going to dye. There are various methods. I blew the the majority off with air and soaked them in buckets of warm soapy water. I was trying to keep the shine as best I could.

I tried multiple ways of dying doing some trial Amd error and the best method I found was this:

I took a 22qt stock pot filled it up to a few inches from the top then put in two bottles of RIT dye. And I put it on top of my wood stove in the shop and got it to almost boiling.
I then put my parts in and let them cook. I left each peice in for about 45 minutes. Having to flip the crankcase and handle and letting them cook for an additional 45 minutes or so because they were too big for the pot.

What do you do with the decals?

Actually, the decals repelled the dye. I tested it on a junk 455 top cover before I actually tried it on my actual project saw. I left the decals on it and they didn't turn black, so when I dyed the 350 I just left them on. The only one that I removed and put on new was the starter cover because it was messed up. Only bad thing about doing it that way is that it's still orange under the decal on the Top cover and if it gets damaged or comes off it will show.

Is this the rit dye you used
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001Q...5498150&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=rit+dye

Latest posts

Back