Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to small wood clear cut at 40 years old or so nothing to hand cut but possibly two very large maples one is pushing 6 feet or so.
1a21f4710acd8f40bf01ae6d2caaa216.jpg
2b9ec5df9dc3127279fbc5f3a2044fd0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ha yeah I was chasing the backcut and hit something. The chain just quit on me. I pulled out and ran and could hear it open up. I was plenty far away by the time it crashed down where I was standing.
Was it leaning ? Or just a fluke chair out ?

Was it leaning ? Or just a fluke chair out ?
A little bit. Definitely a chaser even though it was heading uphill. I hit a piece of metal or something in the back cut and my chain just quit on me. At that point I ducked out. Normally wouldn't have been a problem to chase. Ash is a very splitty wood if not done right. When it is done right you can do a lot with it.

That would be cool. Biggest merch Maple I've ever cut was 5'
This won't be merchant logs it'll be pulp lots of arms and probably about 15' is where they start working it'll be a mess the other is the same way.

This won't be merchant logs it'll be pulp lots of arms and probably about 15' is where they start working it'll be a mess the other is the same way.

We'd call that pasture grown. You get a 14' if it's straight enough. Gotta love cutting a cord of 8' out of those big ones. That'll test your tension reading skills.

On another note I got a new place to stay when we work away. Thanks to my girl she made sure it was nicer then what I really needed but everyone that has them told us it's been well worth it. It even has a place to hold the grinders well I'm working away.
febb9882da0f9b8e8c6a2ceaaa66d8ee.jpg
b8eecfcba5abe75895b0765fa12a844c.jpg
6af1f3c7da80ffed6b1ad7fcf47bb226.jpg
e20219a19bfc13e7f1ec134e9453b1a3.jpg
473da0ba2c0d48be403d852940b082ee.jpg
b160e7ef01b171a410df03636a0aa6aa.jpg

We'd call that pasture grown. You get a 14' if it's straight enough. Gotta love cutting a cord of 8' out of those big ones. That'll test your tension reading skills.
I wish we could do 8'6" but 17' is the shortest here for hardwoods and 12's for Doug fir where I am.

Ha yeah I was chasing the backcut and hit something. The chain just quit on me. I pulled out and ran and could hear it open up. I was plenty far away by the time it crashed down where I was standing.
What style of chain are you running?

On another note I got a new place to stay when we work away. Thanks to my girl she made sure it was nicer then what I really needed but everyone that has them told us it's been well worth it. It even has a place to hold the grinders well I'm working away.

Years ago when I cruised with a contact crew we all stayed in a motley assortment of campers and tents and trailers and stuff. I lived out of a Suburban, but the guy with the big nice 5th wheel hosted all the parties. Pretty sure his lady hooked that up too as thinking back I'm pretty sure he'd have got himself a truck camper to save on gas. Another guy had a super nice old Airstream that he was painstakingly restoring by hand in his down time. It was a shell full of rat turds when he got it.

What style of chain are you running?

It's round ground skip. Full chisel Oregon. Until I can buy a square grinder I have no interest in filing. For now I made some "adjustments" to my round grinder. It cuts at 30 degrees under the top plate instead of the recommended 60. I use a narrow wheel to nip just underneath there.

That chain that chaired the tree was in rough shape after it was done. I'm pretty sure I hit some metal in the tree on the backside.

While RandyMac was living the life and running metal saws, I was spending time in school - for a while residing in an old Avon slide-in sitting on a 1971 3/4 ton Chevy. Just had to move to a different parking space each day and keep the lights off at night to keep the campus cops at bay. Too bad my dad wanted it back. I could still live in the thing. I bet it is around somewhere much like many of the old saws - it was sturdy. It had plywood cabinets and solid wood millwork; probably from some birch trees Gologit cut. Pop added his own touches - an old Caddy front bumper for the rear bumper to provide a step. He reversed the order of the privacy glass in the full jalousie windowed door so he could see out the back through the rear view mirror - my mother wasn't so keen on that as it gave the outside world an inside view as well. Pop didn't really care what other folks saw. Ron

Similar model.
c4sale08b.jpg

Latest posts

Back