Firewood Racks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wet grass is hard to cut. I see your south TX. I'm sure you have encountered "needle grass"?
That stuff is tuff!!!

not wet like from rains wet from spring growth... young, wet and tender. needle grass? never heard the term... but wire grass... bahaia coming up... can leave single strands... makes u mow over sev times... but blade condition important...

wonder if ET is going to leave his new racks there? or mow there? mite make him some good hay...

I got the Gator blades and have been very pleased. I had 2 years of mowing when I pulled them last week. I could have almost shaved with them still. Dunno how, I run over branches, dog toys, rocks, etc.

You guys are talking about all the things that I do too. Mowing, weed eating, round up, it is busy times. I use what I believe is the active ingredient for round up. Strong and lasts a good while. I have to mow the area for the firewood rack then follow up with mowing around them and roundup under. I have to start splitting so I can clean up my log and round area. Just too many projects going on right now. Never enough time.

I service my mowers and a couple of neighbor's mowers. To keep them from clogging up, I pressure wash them, let them dry then spray a good coat of PAM, the original cooking spray. That stuff really keeps things clean. After a season of mowing, hardly anything sticks. Good for hinges too.

Backyard Lumberjack I see you mention a hangar. Are you a pilot? Hangar on your place? I'm a pilot and have hangar and plane at the local airport. Although it may be time for me to give up flying.

You guys are talking about all the things that I do too. Mowing, weed eating, round up, it is busy times. I use what I believe is the active ingredient for round up. Strong and lasts a good while. I have to mow the area for the firewood rack then follow up with mowing around them and roundup under. I have to start splitting so I can clean up my log and round area. Just too many projects going on right now. Never enough time.

I service my mowers and a couple of neighbor's mowers. To keep them from clogging up, I pressure wash them, let them dry then spray a good coat of PAM, the original cooking spray. That stuff really keeps things clean. After a season of mowing, hardly anything sticks. Good for hinges too.

Backyard Lumberjack I see you mention a hangar. Are you a pilot? Hangar on your place? I'm a pilot and have hangar and plane at the local airport. Although it may be time for me to give up flying.

hey there ET - yes, very exp'd pilot... jets in USMC, corp, sport, seaplanes... light... like seaplanes/floatplanes best... well, also a cat shot off the carrier... that's always good for a morning wake up call!! lol.... [0 - 170kts in 2.5 seconds! wheeee-e-e-e...:surprised3:] you PP or more? what's hangared at the local strip? citation jet... super cub.... 150? 172....?

I have not ever tried PAM... think I will give it a try. my next activity once farmside... is to raise my xMark up and scrap underside out.... not too bad a job, just have to watch the ol eyes... :omg: does that PAM keep the 'salad' off underside of deck during spring grass mowings?.... you mowing lawns? I am mowing pasture grasses that are part of compound area. bahaia, etc. not bad overall to keep up with... if... one keeps up with it. lol.... work never ends...

only the day ends!...

Golly!

I only mow about an acre of grass. My mower is a 2008 and has 205 hrs.

By cutting often the grass is not that tall. What ends up happening is the short grass has a slapping affect on the blades and wears the little up turned lip that lifts and ejects the cuttings.
Once that sweeper lip is gone, the blade is done.
Keeping the grass short it keeps field rats away, and with no rats, no snakes.
Also I kill millions of skeeters too.
The down side is I get a lot of dollar weeds and stuff that like short grass.
Tall grass chokes out most of that.
And my horse likes to graze in the fresh mowed short grass.
Cows like tall grass. Goats eat everything but grass.
I have had my little Kubota B5200 since 1986.
That little yard tractor is a little work horse.
It's a 3 cylinder diesel and sips fuel. It will run all day on 3 gallons.

hey there ET - yes, very exp'd pilot... jets in USMC, corp, sport, seaplanes... light... like seaplanes/floatplanes best... well, also a cat shot off the carrier... that's always good for a morning wake up call!! lol.... [0 - 170kts in 2.5 seconds! wheeee-e-e-e...:surprised3:] you PP or more? what's hangared at the local strip? citation jet... super cub.... 150? 172....?

I have not ever tried PAM... think I will give it a try. my next activity once farmside... is to raise my xMark up and scrap underside out.... not too bad a job, just have to watch the ol eyes... :omg: does that PAM keep the 'salad' off underside of deck during spring grass mowings?.... you mowing lawns? I am mowing pasture grasses that are part of compound area. bahaia, etc. not bad overall to keep up with... if... one keeps up with it. lol.... work never ends...

only the day ends!...

I've never tried it but what about spraying the under side with diesel.

Backyard Lumberjack, all my flying has been General Aviation. I have a Commercial with Multi n Instrument rating. I held a CFII for many years and I have an A&P. My plane is a Cessna T210. I don't fly much cross country anymore.

Regarding the PAM, I am posting a few pictures. There were taken March 20, 2015. It is when I serviced a neighbor's mower. It is a 6’ deck on a Kubota Zero Turn, the same mower I have. This lady mows about 4 acres and she is meticulous about her lawn. This service was after the full 2014 mowing season. As you can see very little sticks to the mower deck. The small amount of debris is what I removed during the service.

I mow around the house and out in the pasture where I have a model airplane grass runway. I looked at my mower deck today just to compare. My deck is clean as in the pictures. Give it a try. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

By cutting often the grass is not that tall. What ends up happening is the short grass has a slapping affect on the blades and wears the little up turned lip that lifts and ejects the cuttings.
Once that sweeper lip is gone, the blade is done.
Keeping the grass short it keeps field rats away, and with no rats, no snakes.
Also I kill millions of skeeters too.
The down side is I get a lot of dollar weeds and stuff that like short grass.
Tall grass chokes out most of that.
And my horse likes to graze in the fresh mowed short grass.
Cows like tall grass. Goats eat everything but grass.
I have had my little Kubota B5200 since 1986.
That little yard tractor is a little work horse.
It's a 3 cylinder diesel and sips fuel. It will run all day on 3 gallons.

found your insights and experience interesting! ~

Backyard Lumberjack, all my flying has been General Aviation. I have a Commercial with Multi n Instrument rating. I held a CFII for many years and I have an A&P. My plane is a Cessna T210. I don't fly much cross country anymore.

Regarding the PAM, I am posting a few pictures. There were taken March 20, 2015. It is when I serviced a neighbor's mower. It is a 6’ deck on a Kubota Zero Turn, the same mower I have. This lady mows about 4 acres and she is meticulous about her lawn. This service was after the full 2014 mowing season. As you can see very little sticks to the mower deck. The small amount of debris is what I removed during the service.

I mow around the house and out in the pasture where I have a model airplane grass runway. I looked at my mower deck today just to compare. My deck is clean as in the pictures. Give it a try. View attachment 500904View attachment 500906View attachment 500907

ET sed: I have a Commercial with Multi n Instrument rating. I held a CFII for many years and I have an A&P. My plane is a Cessna T210.

'morning there, ET! well, no shortage of pilots out there... but as for you... imo... it's that CFII and the A&P that gets my respect! :) of course, not to dis any PP cert holder as that in and of itself is quite an accomplishment!!! oh yeah!! not easy to achieve, much less acquire...

>and out in the pasture where I have a model airplane grass runway.

of course, cfII and a/p... that is not all that gets my respect! lol. heck, think I will just move my ranch over next doors to you and we can hang out! lol... kick a tire, light the fire... and first one in the air is the leader... do you fly formation? now that takes some skill. its all relative motion... really cool 6 Navy or Marine jets... 360 kits... and all in perfect formation... and 'you' are the leader... and theyse all looking at you! or you thru their wingman... order of the day!": ' don't mess up now!'... lol....

about the PAM: are those pix like other day or yesterday? and are you saying that deck's underside has just been cutting spring grasses? wet, tender, juicy spring grasses... and no salad??? you know sb47 has changed some blades... when he comments about once the lift wing is gone, so is the blade... hard to believe it, but true... that grass really wears that steel down... but then at those tips speeds... like a zillion crashes constantly... just been servicing my xMark Lazer Z... oil, plugs, filter etc and new blades... it really likes those new blades!! me, too.... lol. real pretty cut! finish!

so I should clean up my underside to metal deck... spray pam up there... and go mow! and should not have any grass build up underside? Y N ?

you say those mower pix after full '14 mowing season. well, I end up like that too as a rule. once the grass dries out, it acts as a brillo pad and cleans the deck just like ur pix. its during the wet spring cutting time I would like not to have grass build up from mulching...

also, for those big mowers... for mine I wired around the seat safety switch... that way I can get off the mower... etc... and keep it running. issue is the clutch... mow in july on a hot sunny day... 98F out... blue skies... and that clutch gets real hot! even though locked up. disengaged it can slip on restart. no way I want to replace it any time soon... so I baby it, engage it cold... it likes that... and keep it engaged til job done, thus reducing wear to clutch shoes/pads... workx for me! its a 3-spindle, 60" deck...

found your insights and experience interesting! ~
If I can find a picture, you'l see exactly what I'm talking about, Though I'm sure you already do.
I just looked in the shop and I think I already scraped them out the last i went to the scrap yard.
Sorry, no pic.
I did google it and came up with a diagram showing what happens,
zwyep.jpg

I've never tried it but what about spraying the under side with diesel.
If I can find a picture, you'l see exactly what I'm talking about, Though I'm sure you already do.
I just looked in the shop and I think I already scraped them out the last i went to the scrap yard.
Sorry, no pic.
I did google it and came up with a diagram showing what happens,

IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/zwyep.jpg[/IMG]

thanks. good link... u r rite, I am no stranger to the tip ends wear. never ceases to amaze me... love new blades. should change annually... but the Must Do list never ends up there... ;)

only the day ends!...

Thank you for serving Sr.

Thank you for serving Sr.

>Thank you for serving Sr.

haha! not to dis your appreciation, sb47... but... just too funny to me... when it mattered, VN era... the country all but hated those serving! now, in more modern times... everybody from one looking at recruiting posters... to full star Generals... all get a Thanks. ironic to me! bordering on satirical irony, only it ain't!!!

but, to clarify... to serve or not to serve, I would have stayed home! ;) but then... and a low draft number... I had two choices...

a) gabardinen green fatigues, USA... peel potatoes or pull triggers like the rest...

or

b) go learn to fly jets with the Best...

need I say more? :cool:

hope u have a nice day. to keep things in perspective... despite ur age today... you prob would have made a good jet-jock... anybody who can fly a brick as well as you can, no doubt could 3-wire carrier landings repeatedly and with ease... lol

:yes:

tsw/

>Thank you for serving Sr.

haha! not to dis your appreciation, sb47... but... just too funny to me... when it mattered, VN era... the country all but hated those serving! now, in more modern times... everybody from one looking at recruiting posters... to full star Generals... all get a Thanks. ironic to me! bordering on satirical irony, only it ain't!!!

but, to clarify... to serve or not to serve, I would have stayed home! ;) but then... and a low draft number... I had two choices...

a) gabardinen green fatigues, USA... peel potatoes or pull triggers like the rest...

or

b) go learn to fly jets with the Best...

need I say more? :cool:

hope u have a nice day. to keep things in perspective... despite ur age today... you prob would have made a good jet-jock... anybody who can fly a brick as well as you can, no doubt could 3-wire carrier landings repeatedly and with ease... lol

:yes:

All vets form all wars deserve our up most appreciation, weather they were drafted, or volunteered.
And I don't care if your were a cook, mechanic, E-1 or any other rank. It's a team effort, and it all kinds of talent to pull it off. All vets deserve respect for serving.

All vets form all wars deserve our up most appreciation, weather they were drafted, or volunteered.
And I don't care if your were a cook, mechanic, E-1 or any other rank. It's a team effort, and it all kinds of talent to pull it off. All vets deserve respect for serving.

I agree - - mostly. What about Bowe Bergdahl? (uh-oh - I think we've hijacked it again! :cool:)

Backyard LumberJack, I agree. Anyone who has earned a pilots license has is to be commended. There is a lot to learn to be a good safe pilot. I wanted a military flying career but it was not to be. I joined the air force and worked on the B-58 Hustler. Fantastic airplane but a bit complex. Later in life, military far from my mind, I met a Navy Recruiter. He made me an offer I could not refuse. So I joined. I got to do a few things the average reservist does not get to do. Retired E-9 Master chief Pertty Officer. It was a good career.

As for the PAM. The grass here in East Texas may be different. All the mower I've had always had grass stick to the deck. It hardens like paper mache and sticks like it too. I always had to scrape the deck to clean then. Same thing with my Kubota. That is until I found PAM. once I started using it the decks remained clean. The pictures were taken after the 2014 mowing season and before the start of the 2015 season. I will be getting a call shortly to service the mower for the 2016 season. I will see how it looks.

I wish I had a picture of all the crud I would remove from the deck.

If you want to try it, clean the mower deck. Presure wash if possible. Let it dry thoroughly then spray a heavy coat of PAM. Let it dry thoroughly before using mower. Only way to know for sure is to try it.

Back