firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my two.

0d4f7dea28681366e82b2bb41e72d011.jpg

1957 Cub

27a00ea0fa559152e5f272b9ad2c7cc6.jpg

Kind of over working that cub with that huge trailer aren't ya? What is it 11HP or just 10HP?
Saw one for sale some place recently with a belly blade I thought would be handy for drive way grading.

:D Al

I collect old Massey Harris tractors and like most of the rest.
Your short selling that cub, it is rated as 10HP.

The Cub featured IH's "Cultivision" offset engine and steering. Three major series of the original Cub were built: the Farmall Cub until 1964 (sn 224703), the International Cub until 1975 (sn 248124), and the new International Cub until the end of production in 1979.

Farmall Cub Power:
Drawbar (claimed): 10 hp [7.5 kW]
PTO (claimed): 11 hp [8.2 kW]
Belt (claimed): 9.76 hp [7.3 kW]
Plows: 1 (12 inch)
Drawbar (tested): 9.87 hp [7.4 kW]
Belt (tested): 10.39 hp

Per Nebraska test over the years.

I collect old Massey Harris tractors and like most of the rest.
Your short selling that cub, it is rated as 10HP.

The Cub featured IH's "Cultivision" offset engine and steering. Three major series of the original Cub were built: the Farmall Cub until 1964 (sn 224703), the International Cub until 1975 (sn 248124), and the new International Cub until the end of production in 1979.

Farmall Cub Power:
Drawbar (claimed): 10 hp [7.5 kW]
PTO (claimed): 11 hp [8.2 kW]
Belt (claimed): 9.76 hp [7.3 kW]
Plows: 1 (12 inch)
Drawbar (tested): 9.87 hp [7.4 kW]
Belt (tested): 10.39 hp

Per Nebraska test over the years.

Yeah but that was brand new. Mine is now 60 years old. :)

I would like to have one of these as a firewood tractor. I would find a way to install an arch and winch on the back. Of course this one weighs as much as an older small skidder. But it can do other things. Ron

Attachments

• IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 65
I would like to have one of these as a firewood tractor. I would find a way to install an arch and winch on the back. Of course this one weighs as much as an older small skidder. But it can do other things. Ron

Wouldn't ground clearance be an issue ?

What's up with the strut bolted to your hood dancan?

The fella that owned the tractor had a plastic tub bolted to it to haul a bit of gear in it .

Wouldn't ground clearance be an issue ?

I've run those a bit in forest settings and ground clearance can be an issue. Kind of depends on what you are trying to do with it. Most of the time it fits between stumps and rocks so it doesn't need to go over them. Often you can push stuff out of the way. Compact track loaders are fast, no other way to put it, they will outwork any tractor in almost every task. So, getting firewood, all around machine for a small logging operation, general farm chores, etc., I would get the CTL. If a fella was making a living logging he would need a skidder to get good productivity and so he could leave slash and not worry as much about stumps. Overall the ground clearance on a CTL is comparable to a small tractor in part because they have a smooth flat bottom that lets them slide over things.

Not only is ground clearance a problem in the woods, it's the soft spots in muddy tracks that will get you with that problem too... Then those EXPENSIVE rubber tracks take a real beating in the woods!

Then there's pulling the load of logs home after you load them...

I tried a skid steer in the woods, I soon got rid of it and bought a new tractor to replace it.

SR

Not sure if a Unimog has been thrown into the mix as a firewood tractor, it will do everything a tractor will do and more......

I would love to have a Unimog, but I love my wife more. She wants my deuce and a half (shown in the picture) gone; I can only imagine what she would say if I brought a Mog home.

Wouldn't ground clearance be an issue ? ... .

Not usually where I cut. As Hddnis said you can push a lot of stuff out of the way.

Not only is ground clearance a problem in the woods, it's the soft spots in muddy tracks that will get you with that problem too... Then those EXPENSIVE rubber tracks take a real beating in the woods!

Then there's pulling the load of logs home after you load them...

I tried a skid steer in the woods, I soon got rid of it and bought a new tractor to replace it.

SR

Track beating, glass and general machine beating would be a major concern for me if I treated like it my little tractor, but I would like to think that if I couldn't clear a path with this $80K machine I wouldn't go. Yes, $80K. It would never pay out for me.

I have to haul over the highways so I can't wagon load like you enjoy.

I have little experience but in my mind anyone who takes a wheeled skid steer in the woods more than once must be acting out of necessity or has perfect, dry, hard flat ground. Other than the $$$ issues, my biggest concern with the tracked skid steer in the woods is severely limited visibility, bouncy ride and how do you get out of the thing if it flips, you're jammed up with yellow jackets (no glass for me) or it quits while you are pushing up your fire pile.

Never used a compact wheel loader so I don't know about the COG, but I do believe one would be far more useful and safer than any of the three wheeled skid steers we have at the woodlot and might be suitable for the woods with a little work. Also they weighs a lot less than a skid steer so I could use a standard tandem trailer.

Ron

Back