Grind Angle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum783

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Can someone point me to the thread where we have beat this to death as bad as we have oil mix. If there is not a thread please help and enlighten me. I have been using 35 angle and 45 pitch and have been having trouble with my wheel rubbing the back side of the racker when coming in for a cut. Help guys.

I use different angles for different types of chains and different types of wood.
I use the following angles with my grinder and sometimes "tweak" the angles a bit depending on the saw I'm using and the wood I'm cutting. I mostly cut hard wood like red oak, white ash, and sugar maple.

Semi chisel 0-30-60 DG .025-.030
Chisel 10-25-55 DG .020-.025

Different chain manufacturers call for different sharpening angles. If you still have the packaging that your chains came in check the back of the box or look for a slip of paper in the box. Usually the angles are outlined on them.
Best of luck to you and don't be afraid to try slightly different angles to find what works best for you.

CFB

I think a lot of people use anywhere from 60 to 55 degrees. 45 may be too much angle.

Does the wheel still rub if you use less angle?

Thanks guys I am doing only residential work so dirty wood is the norm so if one grind is better than the other please specify.

In dirty wood I personally would use semi chisel chain sharpened at 0-30-60. When I'm sharpening chains I bring the grinding wheel all the way down into the gullet. I find that in doing this the top plate is sharpened with the side of the grinding wheel which I like better and it also keeps the gullets cleaned out to help with chip flow. Having the wheel properly dressed is also very important. I check my wheels before I start sharpening a chain and check them again when I switch from the left to right cutters. Usually a very light dressing or none at all is required

CFB

Hard to believe that a 40° slant angle measured from the horizontal is optimal on any chain. My eyes are bothering me just looking at it. Reminds me of a knife angle.
Stihl USG grinder measures the 40° from the vertical 0 to the left 40°. It is the same as the Oregon 50° that is measured from a horizontal zero up 50°.

doubt he's using a USG Doug, if he's clipping depth gauges he's using one that measures angles similar to an Oregon.

Have you got the correct size wheel for the chain type your grinding? l just say this as if you were to use a standard 3/8 wheel on new lo pro/picco chain it would be too thick and hit the back of the raker/depth gauge......but a thinner wheel would fit. l am referring to thickness not diameter.

I use a 3/16" wheel for .325 chains. It clips the raker on the way in the first time you sharpen the chain. After that it's a non-issue.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Listen to Doug !

60° head angle makes for a very lazy cutting chain.

I've always used 60*.

I sharpen a few dozen chains a week, everything from .25 to .404 and they've all cut fine.
Well, aside from the one guy that put the chain on backwards and came in hooting and hollering that the saw wouldn't cut. D'oh!
I'll have to try 50* next time I sharpen some of my own chains.

I use 10-25-60 for chisel and 10-30-60 for semi-chisel. I find that anything more aggressive makes for very delicate cutting edges. That chrome plating can only stand so much stress and with sharper angles the chrome plating will break away and allow the chain to become dull real quick. I will admit that, at those aggressive angles, the chain cuts better and faster when sharp, but also requires more maintenance to keep it sharp.

A "properly" filed chain will have more hook than a 60° setting on an oregon grinder.
Stihl chain out of the box has more hook than 60°.

Latest posts

Back