Hard to start old chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Since you guys brought up the drop test how should a saw with good compression act my 044 starts good runs excellent pulls strong in the wood but it cant pass the drop test at all it will barely hold its self for one second if that

Where is a reputable place to get the required parts for my saw? There are so many advertisers on this site I don't know where to start. Who's got quality parts for a 25 year old saw?

You can't go wrong having the Service Manual & IPL. At the top of the Chainsaw Forum page there's a thread/sticky named Beg For Manuals.

I have used the saw several times in the last 2 years or so, and it seems to run fine once it's started, at least to my untrained ear. The problem is just in getting it started. It will take many, many pulls of the cord, even with a shot or three of starting fluid. Once it seems like it's actually trying to start, it will usually catch and turn over but die after a second. It will do that 4-5 times until it finally is running permanently. Then I have to let it idle for a couple minutes before I pull on the throttle. If I hit the throttle too soon it sounds like it bogs down and dies. You're right though in that it sounds, to me, like it's taking a while to get fuel through the entire system. It seems like it needs to be primed. I assume this is not normal. And since it runs I'd guess it's not a spark issue. I think everyone is right when they say it's a fuel issue. So what are the first steps in correcting a fuel problem? Install a new filter attempt to clean out the carb?

I thank everyone for the help so far.

The carb kit and specs are listed here, there is also a service manual download.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...5f352eae1aecdc9288256ba20048eb6b?OpenDocument

Carb cleaning/kit replacement is a piece of cake. I would probably just buy the diaphragm kit for that, the minor repair kit.

http://store.chainsawr.com/products/tillotson-hu-carburetor-kit

Here's the carb manual
http://tillotson.ie/docs/techinfo_HU_US.pdf

The fuel and impulse line could be had on eBay or fom a local dealer, as well as the filter.

Chris

The carb kit and specs are listed here, there is also a service manual download.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...5f352eae1aecdc9288256ba20048eb6b?OpenDocument

Carb cleaning/kit replacement is a piece of cake. I would probably just buy the diaphragm kit for that, the minor repair kit.

http://store.chainsawr.com/products/tillotson-hu-carburetor-kit

Here's the carb manual
http://tillotson.ie/docs/techinfo_HU_US.pdf

The fuel and impulse line could be had on eBay or fom a local dealer, as well as the filter.

Chris

Thank you very much! That helps a lot.

Stick around here awhile and you'll learn a lot.

Like how to hide 58 chainsaws from the wife. You may be better off junking that saw, cause once you get it going you'll want to fix another one. And so it begins for another person.

:laugh:

After you rebuild that carb, readjust the H and L screw to factory settings, tune maybe 1/8th turn rich, then start reading about how to tune a carb.

Let us know if you get it running good, maybe take some pics or a vid.

Chris

Let us know if you get it running good, maybe take some pics or a vid.

Chris

Here are some pics of it as it looks today (I took these with my phone so they're not the greatest quality):

chainsaw1

chainsaw2

chainsaw3

chainsaw4

Great looking saw you have. Check some of the sponsors here and they can help you with a carb kit. I'm betting your going to need a new fuel line and filter. Maybe new impulse line too. Your on the right direction for getting this ole' beauty running.

Here are some pics of it as it looks today (I took these with my phone so they're not the greatest quality):

chainsaw1

chainsaw2

chainsaw3

chainsaw4

Great looking saw you have. Check some of the sponsors here and they can help you with a carb kit. I'm betting your going to need a new fuel line and filter. Maybe new impulse line too. Your on the right direction for getting this ole' beauty running.

Buddy, that saw is in pretty durn good shape, just clean it up and it will look like new.

+1 Scott

Chris

One problem with those saws is that the choke is in the air filter and the control lever when pushed all the way down has a tit that corresponds to another lever in the filter and closes the choke.
Make sure your choke is closing completely and nothing is broken or out of place.

+1 on the choke. I remember dealing with that type of choke on Stihl saws, but forgot which models had it. Even though I do not care too much for the oilier on that particular model it is a great saw. Very reliable and has plenty of power and chain speed. Saw should last you another 20 years if you take care of it.

i would also do the rings, compression is a little light.
but it could of not been used too much, still has all the original stickers on it.

i would also do the rings, compression is a little light.
but it could of not been used too much, still has all the original stickers on it.
Just exactly how do you know the compression is light? I haven't seen any compression readings. I betting the only thing it needs is new fuel line and filter, impulse line and the carb gone through. Hell the saw looks like it has seen very little use

Just exactly how do you know the compression is light? I haven't seen any compression readings. I betting the only thing it needs is new fuel line and filter, impulse line and the carb gone through. Hell the saw looks like it has seen very little use

I think some people speculate, and make things much more complicated than they need to be. This same suggestion was made by somebody else is the thread.

Chris

Many people have reccomended new fuel lines. What effect do old fuel lines have? Obviously I can see the need to change the fuel filter and clean up the carb, but as long as the fuel lines aren't leaking and aren't clogged, how do they impact the running of the saw?

It's pretty much standard to replace the fuel and impulse lines,fuel filter and rebuild the carb on a saw with that age.Not very expensive.Cheap insurance.

Lines can leak and pull air which can make them hard to start and cause a lean seize.

Carb diaphrams can get hard and cause the saw to not pull the fuel up.

Sounds like your compression is fine.

Check that choke real close,As said if it doesn't close all the way it will be hard to start.Just went through that with an 038MAGII.

Good Luck !!

maybe I missed it, but I don't think it been mentioned that you shouldn't use starter fluid on two strokes, good way to ruin a good engine
alittle premix in the carb if you must but not starter fluid
BTW a great saw in good condition, just needs alittle TLC

Back