Help identifying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavisL.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to first say thanks to all who helped me identify the willow wood.
I am now asking for help to identify this tree.
Background: Southeast Louisiana
Tree grows on edge of rivers and swamp but not in the water. Hark is smooth with raised ridges and bumps.
Has purple to black "berries" with yellow seeds.
4ee1f6d491b180bcf8b95dcb64f74282.jpg
a779ca6cd86f5242465719423750456a.jpg

Fruit looks enormous for Celtis. Do they get that big???

Bark says yes but those things look to be as big as small apples

The BlackBerry tree grows down here regularly. I grew up with these trees and I knew the hackberry when I were a kid. Then I moved into the city and my knowledge of trees has waned. I am now back in the country and remember hackberry everywhere since I grew up on the Mississippi river. I'm guessing these seeds floated from up North.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Jason, I was looking at a distribution map for hackberry and they don't seem to be this far south.
Sugarberry does, but as I said ," these are found along the Mississippi river and the seeds may float down. They are both Celtis is that correct?
I know they make decent firewood and am going to allow my oaks to grow more and fell these instead.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Hackberry and sugarberry are both Celtis. That is the genus. Just like red oak and pin oak are both Quercus...Red maple and silver maple are both Acer...

Back