Homelite 330 won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahiggs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Homelite 330 that hasn't really run well since new. However, I've gotten by until now when after setting for a couple of years it will start rev up & die. I've taken the carb off & it looks to be clean. I can't see any hose leaks, but it's worse since I removed & replaced the carb. I wonder if I need a new carb or if there's something I've missed.
any help would be a appreciated.

Intake boot

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I've taken the saw apart & believe the boot was leaking, as it tore in half when I attempted to remove it. So I believe you were spot on.
I assume I should replace the hoses while I've got it apart. Do I need to get the saw hoses or can I use fuel line from an auto parts store? Thank You for the info. I haven't torn into chain saws before.

I've taken the saw apart & believe the boot was leaking, as it tore in half when I attempted to remove it. So I believe you were spot on.
I assume I should replace the hoses while I've got it apart. Do I need to get the saw hoses or can I use fuel line from an auto parts store? Thank You for the info. I haven't torn into chain saws before.
Take a pic of those line's lol they are an odd routing.
any small engine shop should have line or a dealer if the auto part's places don't mine don't locally.
i just did my line's now the oil pump quit.

Welcome ahiggs-I just went through boot,lines,carb kit. Draw picture of lines an where they go -measure length of each at removal. I would go to local shop and get 3 feet of every size fuel line they sell. Fit ID and od as needed-search topic in right hand top corner of forum---Any questions look for me in chainsaw collectors lounge--David-330 good saw worth the fix-also have info for best place to buy carb kit-all gaskets you need in one pack

When I took the short hose off (I believe it's the pulse line) it looks like there's a spring inside of it. I assume this would be to prevent it from kinking. Will regular fuel hose work ok to replace that line? All of the others are just regular hose it appears.

I have a Homelite 330 that hasn't really run well since new. However, I've gotten by until now when after setting for a couple of years it will start rev up & die. I've taken the carb off & it looks to be clean. I can't see any hose leaks, but it's worse since I removed & replaced the carb. I wonder if I need a new carb or if there's something I've missed.
any help would be a appreciated.
You may want do a compression test and to pull the muffler and have a look at the piston before investing any further. Sounds like the saw has been running lean, and that is what kills saws.

It's always good to check the piston condition. Take a piece of your old fuel line with you to match it up. The intake boots are notorious for going bad. If you haven't put a new kit in the carb then do that. Post the numbers on your carb if you have trouble about which kit to buy. The walbro carb should be a k20-wat kit.
If it still runs like crap and won't idle then the seals might be the next step.

When I took the short hose off (I believe it's the pulse line) it looks like there's a spring inside of it. I assume this would be to prevent it from kinking. Will regular fuel hose work ok to replace that line? All of the others are just regular hose it appears.

I would not use any Tygon type lines on that impulse line or any of the oiler lines. Those saws have enough trouble with that oilers as is and need every bit of strong impulse signal they can get. Use a stout rubber line for it. It has been sometime since I done one so I can't tell you what size to use.

It's always good to check the piston condition. Take a piece of your old fuel line with you to match it up. The intake boots are notorious for going bad. If you haven't put a new kit in the carb then do that. Post the numbers on your carb if you have trouble about which kit to buy. The walbro carb should be a k20-wat kit.
If it still runs like crap and won't idle then the seals might be the next step.

Some of those had Zama Carbs also.

Like I said about the oiler impulse, the seals are a must on these also. No better time to do it then when this PITA saw is already apart.

I actually just sold a Homelite 330 yesterday that I went through a couple years back that was in perfect shape.

I sold it for $50 just to get it out of here and I never want to see one again. There not worth the trouble.

I have a parts saw here with a perfect top end if someone needs it.

I remember doing a leakdown test on one in the 1990s, I found a small hole in the bottom of the crankcase that was
leaking slowly, it almost looked like it was made that way. I even called Homelite... I said the hole looked like it was supposed to be there, the guy at Homelite said that it was...............

Welcome ahiggs-I just went through boot,lines,carb kit. Draw picture of lines an where they go -measure length of each at removal. I would go to local shop and get 3 feet of every size fuel line they sell. Fit ID and od as needed-search topic in right hand top corner of forum---Any questions look for me in chainsaw collectors lounge--David-330 good saw worth the fix-also have info for best place to buy carb kit-all gaskets you need in one pack

I found Bill Walcott who was mentioned in a post somewhere here after finding he had changed his email address to [email protected] He had all of the hoses & other things I think I need. He's a nice Gent to work with. I could only get Tygon type hoses from local suppliers. I didn't realize you have install the spring inside the pulse line to make it work right. If I keep after it I may learn enough to actually repair this thing. Thanks to all.

I remember doing a leakdown test on one in the 1990s, I found a small hole in the bottom of the crankcase that was
leaking slowly, it almost looked like it was made that way. I even called Homelite... I said the hole looked like it was supposed to be there, the guy at Homelite said that it was...............
Correct.

e7b4cf2b9a59c23467823b55db1f6714.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pretty much agree with that. All manufactures had there mistakes and turds and the 330 wasn't Homelites cream of the crop for sure.

My dad still has two of those damn things over in his shop, he used to use them a lot and just loved them, but then he never worked on them, I always got stuck trying to keep them going for him.

When there right, they run ok, just ok though and are there best with a 16" bar. The oilers are anemic at best, don't try to bother using heavy sticky bar oil in them. I used to cut the ole mans 50-50 with 20w oil or some diesel fuel to lighten it up so the oiler would work decent. The plastic starter ratchets are little better then junk, I used to keep pulleys and ratchets here just for his saws.

I pretty much agree with that. All manufactures had there mistakes and turds and the 330 wasn't Homelites cream of the crop for sure.

My dad still has two of those damn things over in his shop, he used to use them a lot and just loved them, but then he never worked on them, I always got stuck trying to keep them going for him.

When there right, they run ok, just ok though and are there best with a 16" bar. The oilers are anemic at best, don't try to bother using heavy sticky bar oil in them. I used to cut the ole mans 50-50 with 20w oil or some diesel fuel to lighten it up so the oiler would work decent. The plastic starter ratchets are little better then junk, I used to keep pulleys and ratchets here just for his saws.

From all the reports I've received on this tread I can plainly see I shouldn't have attempted to repair this 330. I sometimes wondered about it over the years as it never ran as well as others I've used in the past. However, I always seemed to get the job done with it so I put up with it. I've ordered the boot & hoses for it & if that doesn't do the job I'll cut my losses & junk it. My question is what would be a good used 20" saw that I could replace it with. I only use a saw once or twice a year & really don't want to sink much money into one as I'll only need one for another 5 years or so. If I had some advise on what to look for I believe I could find one in my area for not too much money. Thanks in advance.

I am glad to see others have the same opinion about the 330 that I have. I have only seen one and that one was enough for me to know I didn't want anything to do with it. It looked like a pain to work on. A 360 Homelite is a different story . I'll work on those any day . I have always liked those saws.

Back