Homelite Tillotson HL 141B Mixture screws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDM53ENT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Maybe Im working to late but I can not find exact info on my question. Homelite Tillotson HL 141B carb. Just getting one back together and Im questioning my thoughts on the Hi Low Screws. The fine point screw has a groove cut in the shaft and for some reason I keep thinking thats the high side. Normally the low side is the fine point and the blunt screw is the high side is what I am thinking. The fine point is the longer one and thats another reason I keep wanting to go to the H side with it.
Would one of you gentlemen with actual experience with an HL 141series on a Homelite C series saw chime in please.

110d8101-7141-482b-8a6c-8f45fab2c3b3_zpsd4ca96ed.jpg

Last edited:
Once again, Steve to the rescue! I got it back on the saw but she is going to battle me for some reason. Going to put the original needle and seat back in, I havent had much luck with these new ones with the flat washer but I tried again anyway.

Maybe Im working to late but I can not find exact info on my question. Homelite Tillotson HL 141B carb. Just getting one back together and Im questioning my thoughts on the Hi Low Screws. The fine point screw has a groove cut in the shaft and for some reason I keep thinking thats the high side. Normally the low side is the fine point and the blunt screw is the high side is what I am thinking. The fine point is the longer one and thats another reason I keep wanting to go to the H side with it.
Would one of you gentlemen with actual experience with an HL 141series on a Homelite C series saw chime in please.

110d8101-7141-482b-8a6c-8f45fab2c3b3_zpsd4ca96ed.jpg

Yes Steve is correct. I have new HL141D carb. The long straight needle is the High needle and the blunt one is the low.
chainsawlady

Well I finally put the old needle and seat back in and got it to seat. The mixtures screws are in correctly and all I can get it to do is fire and die. Finally pulled the fuel line and even trying to mist the carb, same deal. I think I got a spacer gasket or another leaking so back apart she comes. Im glad I am a patient man!

People often get the pump section diaphragm and gasket in the wrong order on these carbs. I think that's because it's "backwards" compared to the 'cube' carbs folks are used to seeing on chainsaws. That's a VERY nice color diagram Jerry. Easier for folks to follow. I'm swiping it for future use.:D

People often get the pump section diaphragm and gasket in the wrong order on these carbs. I think that's because it's "backwards" compared to the 'cube' carbs folks are used to seeing on chainsaws. That's a VERY nice color diagram Jerry. Easier for folks to follow. I'm swiping it for future use.:D

Yep I still want to put the gasket, pump, diaphragm in the wrong order but Ive only done a hand full of the Tillotsons. That was the first thing I checked. I went through it again last night with a fine tooth comb and I feel the carb is correct. I did go ahead and pull the handle, spacer etc to go with all new gaskets. I double checked the points etc. The fire is there and as correct as I can see.
No wear in the crank key etc. I even went as far as removing the muffler and plug, spinning with a drill and videoing the spark of the plug in conjunction with the crank. In slow motion it is firing when the piston is at the top of the cylinder so Im going to eliminate timing for the time being. I will get all new gaskets on this week and see what happens.

If no luck I guess I will have to go dig one of my running C series out and steal the carb. I just HATE robbing peter to pay paul!

I'm feeling the urge to give this thread a bump. I just rebuilt the HL141B on my C-9 this evening. It too had the sharper long one in the high, and the stepped shorter one in the low.
I put it back together correctly with the sharp long one in the low and the stepped shorter one in the high and it fired up on one pull and tuned like it is supposed to. I don't know if all the advise above came from word of mouth or experience, or maybe my carb is an exception? Either way it probably explains why the guy never posted a reply to say thanks after his saw ran right. If it ever ran right. I wonder if the advise from this thread a year ago lead to me getting my c9.
I apologize up front if anyone takes offense to my comment, I'm not trying to offend or correct anyone who left advise above. I did find a diagram of the 141B that showed the longer pointed one as the low.

[QUOTE="I put it back together correctly with the sharp long one in the low and the stepped shorter one in the high and it fired up on one pull and tuned like it is supposed to. I don't know if all the advise above came from word of mouth or experience, or maybe my carb is an exception?.[/QUOTE]

Is there a consensus on this? I found and old c72 and after cleaning it seems to run better with the pointed screw in the idle port and the stepped screw in the high speed port. It runs with them in reverse position but will not idle. I can't seem to get a positive answer from any tillotson or homelite literature on the web.

Back